Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi And Electric Seat!

romansoldier

Hello all, I am a new member and just a few days ago purchased a 1999 GS300 sport privately. Only problem was, the guy did not tell me the driver seat is not functioning (passenger seat ok), and being a tall guy, was cramped a bit while driving. I need to sort that, not sure how much will cost! Also, got only the one key, which doesnt work the central locking, and finally, infuriatingly, the display on the stereo does not work! I cant tell what radio channel or CD track is playing - very annoying! Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to LOC. When you press the button on remote does the little red light by the button illuminate? Hopefully just Battery in keyfob. Probably bulb for radio display. Did you not try to adjust seat position before you took for test drive or to see if it was comfortable? I hope the one key you have is a master key.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

As Dave1 says you should have the master key, this has 3 buttons on it and is needed to program additional keys.

The radio display is a common problem with the digits missing and distorted, as far as I know there is no fix for the problem within the UK, there has been success in the US but the displays are different being from LHD models.

The power to the seats is normally common to both so have a look under the seat and check all the plugs and socket connections under there,if the seat has been stuck in one position for some time the connections can fail when the seat is moved.

Hi guys and thanks for your replies. The seat position was comfortable when I had a test drive, but a combination of factors - one being me having travelled from Yorkshire to the Midlands and time did not help in stalling the purchase! Just got a quote from a local garage that what I need is a set of runners/rails and Lexus quoted them 1.5K!!! The stereo seems to be irreparable too and the key apparently needs to be analysed on a computer. Are there any cheaper ways to sort these problems? I do like the car but cant afford that price for the runners, to start with!

Welcome to LOC.

Sounds like you have some fun and games ahead.

Seat runners? I can't see why you would need those. I'm sure the motors are in the seats, the runners shouldn't make any difference. Do ALL adjustments not work? There are seperate motors for various adjustments so it would seem unlikely that they would all go at the same time. Sounds more like a power issue. There should be a seperate fuse for each front seat, so I would check that first - I think it is called "D P/Seat" or something similar. Unfortunately, due to the memory positions, there are a lot of ecu's involved, but power would seem the most obvious to test first.

The radio display was missing loads of segments on my 99 GS300 Sport, I switched to an after market system anyway but when I did look into it, there was an LCD panel available, but still a fiddly job to solder in.

I agree with the others on the key, check the Battery first in the key. Does the central locking work from the key barrel and the lock/unlock button on the doors?

I have found the GS300 wiring diagram

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18986374/Lexus-GS-300-Wiring-Diagram-Manual-EWD171U

I think the seat diagram is around page 200 ( sorry didn't make an accurate note)

From the diagram it shows that the power is supplied from a 30 Amp fuse and this supplies both seats so as the passenger seat works it must be OK.

The 12 volts supply to the seat is on the blue wire with a white tracer so check to see if this is present at the drivers seat connector. It is then basically a series of switches and motors to control all the seat movements,there is no ECU involved.

The chances of all the motors failing at the same time is unusual so if the 12 volts is there check the switch pack for the same voltage.

I also don't see how the seat rails are the cause as this would not affect other functions such as lumber support and seat back movement.

I also noticed when looking through the circuit diagrams there was a remote lock/umlock switch, I have one in my Celsior that turns the remote central locking either on or off, have a look around the drivers lower dash area.

You haven't confirmed if you have the master 3 button key or not but there is a proceedure to reprogram the key yourself on the forums.

I think the seat diagram is around page 200 ( sorry didn't make an accurate note)

From the diagram it shows that the power is supplied from a 30 Amp fuse and this supplies both seats so as the passenger seat works it must be OK.

The 12 volts supply to the seat is on the blue wire with a white tracer so check to see if this is present at the drivers seat connector. It is then basically a series of switches and motors to control all the seat movements,there is no ECU involved.

The chances of all the motors failing at the same time is unusual so if the 12 volts is there check the switch pack for the same voltage.

I also don't see how the seat rails are the cause as this would not affect other functions such as lumber support and seat back movement.

I also noticed when looking through the circuit diagrams there was a remote lock/umlock switch, I have one in my Celsior that turns the remote central locking either on or off, have a look around the drivers lower dash area.

You haven't confirmed if you have the master 3 button key or not but there is a proceedure to reprogram the key yourself on the forums.

Those are mk1 diagrams mate ;)

Those are mk1 diagrams mate ;)

I thought they might be although the loom may be similar and therefore may help with the problem, thinking about it the series 2 I had for a short while did not have the remote switch,I guess that also means there will be a memory seat ECU sat in there some where then.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links