Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Diy Servicing On 3Rd Generation Gs

Just wondering if many 3rd generation GS (05-) owners do their own servicing etc? Went at mine for the first time this weekend! Impressions as follows:

My right hand low beam Xenon has been occasionally going out for the last while - looking at Clublexus, this seems to be a common problem. To try and work out if it's the bulb or the ballast (:ohmy:) I swapped the xenons left to right and vice versa. No issues getting the bulbs out - had to move screenwash funnel out of the way on passenger side (one 10mm bolt only); didn't even have to remove airbox on drivers side as I had seen recommended. Getting them back in though - different story, although pretty representative of most bulbs these days though it seems! Stupidly, I didn't pay great attention to the bulbs' orientation when taking them out, presuming they would only go in one way. However, didn't count on having to work blind - as my hand blocks any vision of the socket. Having big spade like hands most certainly didn't help either! Eventually managed to get them in (like, an hour later!). Not 100% sure they're correctly in; however, light is actually working and isn't pointing into the sky or anything. Bizarrely, my auto levelling feature is now not working (no little dance when I turn on the lights). They seem to be stuck in 'top' position - not really a problem AFAIK, as this would be their position for 'normal' driving anyway, and I don't carry loads in the boot.

Drained oil - no problems. However, at last service, the mechanic must have hung off his wrench when tightening the oil filter as it was a nightmare to loosen! Took me about an hour lying under the car! Besides that it was a piece of cake though.

Changed cabin air filter - so so easy - 1 minute job!

Cleaned out as much crap as possible from the engine air filter (will change next service). Again, really really easy job, just springing open four clamps and moving one harness.

Local Toyota dealer is doing a coolant flush special offer for €50 (about £40 stg) so will try to get that done this week - reckon nine litres of Toyota Super LLC coolant would cost the bones of that retail anyway so let them do the work!

Hi there,

I do all of my own oil changes on my 2006 GS300 SEL. You did not mention whether you have the oil filter removal tool.

If you do not then type TOY 640 into google and all will become clear.

This is the Assenmacher tool from the states, similar to what Lexus use.

:winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links