Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How To Open Metal Valve Caps

jagdishghanshani

My tyres need to be inflated and when I tried to open the valve caps to inflate the tyres, they just rotate but don't come off. How do I get them off to inflate the tyres? Also - is there another method to put them back on? I see they are made up of metal instead of the usual plastic ones and have a tiny hole in it as well.

Does he tiny hole have a tiny screw inside to fit a tiny hex key in by any chance? My old car had them and they were rusted shut so had to bring it to a tyre shop to fit new valves..hope this helps u somehow

Hi, this is a common issue, metal valve caps welding themselves on, two things that will help

1…put a little bit of grease or Vaseline on the thread before putting them on

2… once a month just undo and re tighten them

if its just the outer part of the valve cover rotating, just grip them gently with a pair of pliers, perhaps use a piece of thin cloth or tissue paper so you dont mark them.

if they have a tiny hole in the top then you should have a small domed tool that fits over the top of the valve with a pin in it that fits into the hole in the valve cover

if you have tyre sensor monitors the you are in trouble as you could quite easily break the stem while trying to get them of, you could try using some WD 40 on them and leaving it overnight.

If you have just normal valve stems then I would go to your local tyre place and ask them to try and get them of, then at least if they do snap your in the right place to have them replaced.

Best of luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links