Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Please Say Hello And Let Me Know Whats Up

I am new to this forum.

I own a 1998 Lexus GS300 and love the car! Never knew that the cars were so good.

I am having a problem however and wondering if anyone can help.

For the last 2 months the cars fan kept coming on and of. I didn't think anything of it as it never overheated.

Recently 3 weeks ago I topped up with water and been topping up again every 4 or 5 days. There is no leaks at all.

I have realised the water is oily (dirty) but the car runs fine. It runs fine but the day it needs water it will pressurise kind of thing as I realise the coolant reserve bottle cap is open when I go to top up.

Can the experts help please!

sounds like a headgasket problem,depending on where the leak is system could be getting pressurised by pistons through the leak and blowing top off tank.The dirty water could be caused by exhaust gas rather than oil.

not been here long myself Mo but hey , welcome to lexusville B) shame you got a problem & sorry i can,t help you , all i do know is oil in water or water in oil ?? both are a bad newsflash !

To check for exhaust gases in the coolant system ask your local MOT testing station to put their CO probe into the expansion tank ( not into the coolant itself) with the engine running.

If there are combustion gases detected it would confirm head gasket failure.

I had this problem on a V6 Cougar. I used a temporary repair, a ceramic potion you put in the water. Far better than the equivalent in Halfords etc and it did a great job BUT you can't really ignore a head gasket problem for long. The damage potential is always worse after a temporary repair than before. Get a pressure check done or gas check to make sure.

Hi Mohammed,

I have a gs300 mk 1 had a very simular problem, was topping up the expansion tank with water every 4-5 days. The heater was always cold too.

I had a coolant change done and it cured all the water problems. The cause was an air lock in the heating system. At the back of the engine there is a water hose coming out of the car it also has your temperature valve on it, check this works when you alter the temp control on the dash, also Gs300's can be hard to bleed because this hose is higher than the radiator. although yours sounds like a head gasket with the oily water you can easily check these other points. Hope this helps ;)

Jon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links