Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My rear tyres would need replacing soon, just wondering what tyres people have experience with. I have done research and found 3 that get mentioned as being the market leaders:

1) Michelin Pilot Super Sport

2) Continental Contact sport 5P

3) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Or shall i stick to the OEM tyres made by bridgestone. Wondering what peoples thoughts are. I am inclinded to go fir the michelins purely because they have brilliant reviews in dry, but they also have mixed reviews in the wet. Goodyear are supposed to be great in the wet, not as great as michelins in the dry, but also they don't have any rim protection. The continentals are supposed to be good at both dry and wet, but apparently they dont last that long.

Just wondering what people have on thier cars. Thanks

My rear tyres would need replacing soon, just wondering what tyres people have experience with. I have done research and found 3 that get mentioned as being the market leaders:

Or shall i stick to the OEM tyres made by bridgestone. Wondering what peoples thoughts are. I am inclinded to go fir the michelins purely because they have brilliant reviews in dry, but they also have mixed reviews in the wet. Goodyear are supposed to be great in the wet, not as great as michelins in the dry, but also they don't have any rim protection. The continentals are supposed to be good at both dry and wet, but apparently they dont last that long.

Just to add that rim protection of the OEM tyres (and presumably others offering this facility) is useless. Even at tickover, gently nudging even the lowest curb will push the rubber out of the way to scrape the rim revealing bright shiny metal as a vivid contrast to the "black" finish - so you just have to be careful. I don't think any of the alternatives you suggest would be bad tyres and the differences would be quite subtle. It is probably worthwhile looking for reviews which indicate whether the charactersics you want last throughout the life of the tyre.

Thanks for your replies. I am seriously considering the michelin pilot super sport, have heard only great things about them, and they don't wear down as fast as the others.

i have been to a couple tyre places, however no one stocks them, they are 'special order'. And then they try to sell me other tyres they have in stock, asking me why i want the michelins!

Thanks for your replies. I am seriously considering the michelin pilot super sport, have heard only great things about them, and they don't wear down as fast as the others.

i have been to a couple tyre places, however no one stocks them, they are 'special order'. And then they try to sell me other tyres they have in stock, asking me why i want the michelins!

I brought mine from WIM/Blackboots, but Tony did have to order them as he did not hold stock in the size I needed.

I've been very happy with (the many) sets of Conti's I've had

• 1 year later...

These prices are not uncommon, as I had a M3 sac longchamp pas cher on which the screen failed, and had a similar quote. Lucky I had a warranty, and that's why I've taken the extended warranty from Lexus, when mine dropped over the 3 year mark. I've been more worried by all the gadgets going wrong Sac longchamp , than the mechanicals!

• 2 months later...

I need a new front tyre on my F, when I type in the reg. into many of the internet suppliers, it suggests that it should have 225/40/R19 93Y yet mine has 89Ws on it, which should it be? The two rears will need changing in a few months as well, what should those be?

Thanks steve, 3 of mine appear to be correct but the nearside front appears to be the lower rating, even though its the same bridgestone type. I only checked that one as it was the easiest to check while the car was in the garage!

Unfortunatley its not that one that needs replacing, and in fact that one was fitted by the Lexus dealer when I bought it as the orginal had a nick in the sidewall. Do I make a fuss with the orginal dealer?

The difference is c. 15mph on the lower speed rating which is fine as 166mph is way above the UK speed limit----my feeling is the Dealer was penny-pinching!

Tel

Maybe, for a Lexus dealer thats not what you'd expect. To be fair my local Lexus dealer (not where I purchased it) never higlighted any issue or difference at service and I had a tyre report provided, so maybe its not an issue.

At the end of the day it's not the correct tyre as per the manufacturers recommendation. I'd get them to change it for peace of mind. What would happen in an insurance claim if they found that the tyre was at fault?

Sorted, their service manager called me and said they would pay for a replacement, Since i'm not local to them if I get it done locally and send them the bill. Result.

• 7 months later...

I've just read the EVO tyre test. Its for 18 inchers on a front drive A Class so not entirely representative, though informative nevertheless.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 came out top. For the IS-F, they work out at £844 for the set from Event Tyres, £23 less than the Bridgestones that came with the car.

Anybody got any expreience with the Goodyears?

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has been very useful in my choice. I had a 6 month health check at the Lexus dealer a couple of weeks ago; no surprises they said I needed new tyres. However, because they are tied to a single supplier, they could only offer two options. Kumho KU39s were available for about £150 a corner and seemed to satisfy all the load and speed ratings. But they did very poorly in all the comparative reviews. I found this very useful website which summarises how different tyres perform. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

Ultimately the message was "with the Kumhos you get what you pay for". However I did appreciate the dealer offering a cheaper alternative to the £220+ premium brands.

The other option on offer was Continental Sport Contact M3. I did some research and found that these have a ZR speed rating, which means a maximum of 149mph. That is a big concern as had I not done my own checking I could have been driving on tyres not suitable for the car. I plan a trip to Germany next year and I have visions of a tyre giving up at 170mph on the autobahn. I've seen a comment elsewhere saying that because the IS-F is so rare, dealers may not know exactly what to do with it; this experience seems to reinforce that view. I will be over there on Friday so will give them the feedback.

So back to the trusty Bridgestones. A set of 4 for just under £900, fitted at home by Event Tyres. The fitter has in the last week done a McLaren, a Lambo and an Overfinch with Carlos Fandango wheels, so i was happy for him to do mine. He did say he had never seen an IS-F up until this week, but mine was the second one in a few days. So does anyone on here have a black one in Chester with some new tyres from Event?

i have got bridgestone on my 2011 ISF and got 27,000 out of my ones before I needed to hat to replace them.. very good all round tyres

I've been very impressed with the Bridgestones. 24k miles covered and they could have legally done another 2-3k. But one had a deep nick in it and with the colder wetter weather on its way I decided to take the plunge. I'm likely to change cars well before I get to 48k and need a second new set, so it was a false ecomomy to stick with the semi-slicks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links