Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Having just arrived back from Turkey and the LS having passed its MOT without problem after the repairs it is now time to reinsure and tax.

Having had no request from the 3rd party insurer's for the Log book V5C I assumed that the marker wasn't being applied and transfering the insurance back from the GS would mean a 5 minute phone call to SKY Insurance.

Being an honest person and not wanting to void cover I told them that the car had been repaired and MOTd and that is when the problems began.

Although I obviously contacted after the accident they claimed not to know but made a note on the system.

Because of the 'unknown accident" they are now asking for an engineer's report after repair and a VIC test as well as a copy of the MOT certificate but after contacting the 3rd paty insurer's who said it was a cash settlement and the car was not recorded and then the DVLA who have not been notified and as far as they were concerned "the accident never happened" I found myself going round in circles between SKY, Allianz and the DVLA.

So basically SKY will provide only 3rd party cover until they receive the required documents and if not received within 4 weeks will cancel the policy but as the accident has not been notified to the DVLA I cannot apply for a VIC test.

Having already sold the GS300 I am now left with a perfectly roadworthy LS400 which I cannot insure fully comp and therefore cannot drive anywhere.

It pays to be honest? In my case with an upcoming engineers report and a VOSA fee it certainly costs!!!

Surely as the 3rd party insurer's told me if it's not been marked it should be simple enough to reinsure with just a new MOT.

Having just arrived back from Turkey and the LS having passed its MOT without problem after the repairs it is now time to reinsure and tax.

Having had no request from the 3rd party insurer's for the Log book V5C I assumed that the marker wasn't being applied and transfering the insurance back from the GS would mean a 5 minute phone call to SKY Insurance.

Being an honest person and not wanting to void cover I told them that the car had been repaired and MOTd and that is when the problems began.

Although I obviously contacted after the accident they claimed not to know but made a note on the system.

Because of the 'unknown accident" they are now asking for an engineer's report after repair and a VIC test as well as a copy of the MOT certificate but after contacting the 3rd paty insurer's who said it was a cash settlement and the car was not recorded and then the DVLA who have not been notified and as far as they were concerned "the accident never happened" I found myself going round in circles between SKY, Allianz and the DVLA.

So basically SKY will provide only 3rd party cover until they receive the required documents and if not received within 4 weeks will cancel the policy but as the accident has not been notified to the DVLA I cannot apply for a VIC test.

Having already sold the GS300 I am now left with a perfectly roadworthy LS400 which I cannot insure fully comp and therefore cannot drive anywhere.

It pays to be honest? In my case with an upcoming engineers report and a VOSA fee it certainly costs!!!

Surely as the 3rd party insurer's told me if it's not been marked it should be simple enough to reinsure with just a new MOT.

Try a different insurance company, if you have a new MOT the car should be insurable without all

that trouble.

Try a different insurance company, if you have a new MOT the car should be insurable without all

that trouble.

Hi

I doubt that will solve the problem, all insurance companies are logged onto the same network information source along with the dvla and the police, so this problem will continue to flag up regardless of who is supplying a service.The main worry the insurance company as is that they are not insuring a cloned car, thats why they are asking for a independant engineers and dvla report.

I purchased a car years ago that had been previously registered with a cherished plate and I had to take it to a licensing centre so the car could be physically checked (vin number) before they would give me a registration number for the car.

Cheers Roy, I have come to the same conclusion.

If the car has not been recorded on the MIAFTR database which would in turn mean the DVLA would have been notified there will be no record of the total loss.

The only concern I have is I will have to declare to a new insurer that I have been involved in a non fault accident but providing they don't ask specific details regarding the vehicle status that should be OK.

Update!

Finally got somewhere,having spoken to the 3rd party insurer's again this morning they have now notified their salvage department who will put the total loss on the MIAFTR database then from here the DVLA will be notified.

My insurer's have now agreed to reinsure the car fully comp ( they did originally say it would be only TF) for 30 days allowing me time to get the VIC done once the DVLA update the log book to show the marker.(Cannot even book the VIC with VOSA until this process has been completed) The insurance company (MarkerStudy) only want a copy of the repair invoice,the new MOT and the VIC papaerwork so no need for an expensive engineer's report.

Only query now is will I be able to tax the car before the VIC and indeed drive it on the road looks like another call to the DVLA (they are very helpful people)

As the old British Rail slogan used to say "We're getting there"

I have an " oirdinary " DVLA phone number if it's of any use !

01792 782341

Malc

Cheers Malc,

I rang them on the 0300 number and was told I can still tax the car and use it on the road, it will take 72 hours for them to receive notification of the marker anyway.

So providing the Insurance certificate arrives as promised the car will finally be rolling for the weekend.

This will save me from extreme grief from the other half by not having to drive to her friends birthday party venue in the works van!

It never rains but it pours!

Finally the VIC marker has been applied and at last I can apply to VOSA for the check to be carried out.

I began filling in the online application form and got to where you have to enter your VIN/Chassis/Frame number and discovered that all the time the V5C log book had instead of UCF10-******** it actually has VCF10-********.

I just hope this doesn't create a serious problem in that VOSA refuse a pass.

Hi Steve I would pop down to your vosa vic centre & check before you book the check, as they are probably not going to clear it if the v5 doesn't match the chassis number. The dvla office that first inspected the car when it was imported have messed up. Check with vosa & the local dvla as you might need to get a sva ( single vehicle approval) inspection done & a new v5 issued. If the vic is refused vosa normally keep the car & you will have to pay for another vic check.

I will be down a vosa centre tommorow & ask their advice off the record which way you should go.

Hi Steve saw the vic man at my vosa station, he says its quite a common occurrence that there are discrepancies normally an s & a 5 they will inform the dvla with the correct details & your log book will come back correct, you will not get your vic report back straight away but will get it a few days later.

He said firstly check if it needs a vic check & if it does highlight the v5 problem on the vic form where you enter the chassis number ( you may not be able to do this online) so do it with the paper type from your vosa centre.

Hope this helps Mark

Cheers Mark,

Yes it is a cat C and the marker is now on according to the vehicle check I pulled from the DVLA.

I have already applied for the test online so cannot now put a note on regarding the incorrect chassis number but had I not still had the V5C to hand ( it is normally returned to the DVLA by the insurance company) I would not have known about the error.

It should be known however that the chassis code would normally begin UCF10 as this is the factory model designation code.

The car is also described as bronze in colour but looks more like silver plus the paint code is Lexus Dark Silver.

The V5C also does not state a model of vehicle just a Toyota.

I am hoping that after over 5 years of ownership the car is not held by VOSA.

I did on purchase have the original Japanese de-registration certificate but cannot now find this of course.

Hi Steve best to inform them when you take it for the vic check,as they will have the chassis number from the dvla & should be able to correct it, They wont hold your car as it is a frequent occurance that this happens, good luck Mark

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links