Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is200 18" Alloy Tye Reccomendation

TREDLOVER

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to the Lexus brand (formerly a BWM owner) and recently purchased a 2002 IS 200 SE Auto.

I have to say....I adore it already! Only 2 former keepers, 52k with full Lexus history - a steal at a touch over £2000!

Only thing letting her down were her rims..what I assume are standard SE 17" five spokes.

They are badly corroded and losing air, but after winter is gone, I will have them refurbed. However, in the meantime,I have aquired some toyota 18" seven spokes in pretty good nick, and after reading some articles on here, found they would fit.

On the advice of my local tyre agent, I was supplied with 245 40 18 on all four corners. Looked good and drove well....until I had a passenger or shopping in the boot! Rubbing city!!

I've been back today and had them replaced...now running 225 40 18's on all corners. No rubbing whatsoever, but the noise is noticeably louder (particularly on smooth tarmac), and steering seems a lot more sensitive.

Does anyone know if these are the right size? And should I expect this added noise from a lower profile tyre?

Sorry if these sound like daft questions, but the only cars I've mauled the wheels on were 7 series BMW's? I've also tried to find threads on here, but cant find the exact same situation.

Thanks in advance guys. :-)

as above, 225/40/18 is the correct size.

the 245s would have added a couple of cm to the circumference of the tyre and in turn would make the steering slightly sloppy, and also soak up more bumps/vibration to due the taller sidewall.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links