Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hello, new to lexus and to forums in general. Been reading with interest especially on the fuel consumption - get 44 mpg out of mine which I guess will do, driving carefully etc which I find takes twice the concentration especially on the mway. Give it the beans though and mpg plumets - but it is fun ever mow and again, superb mid range pick up for overtaking / generally pratting around. I come to lexus from vw golf GT TDI which sadly blew it's turbo after 185,000 miles and wasn't worth repairing, the only real (admittedly fatal) issue I had with it - great car. Golf was fun and seemed to retun 47mpg no matter how it was driven - smaller engine and lighter car I guess. Overall very pleased with my choice (IS220d 2006 in a sort of cherry red), mainly because it isn't a Beamer! Anyway on to my questions.

Is the egr valve really as troublesome as advertised on the forum? Don't fancy having to strip engine parts to keep it going! Was expecting reliability that was at least equivalent to my previous car which basically got serviced by a back alley mechanic who as never touched the egr valve as far as I'm aware.

What is this 5th injector, what does it do, when does it kick in? Is it linked to the egr?

The 16" wheels look a little small so was going to upgrade wheels to 18" same width front and back so I can swap wheels to even tyre wear. However I note that cars with factory fitted upgraded wheels are wider at rear than front - should I follow suit?

Lastly I have a bit of bumper trim missing, black triangular insert next to front fog lamp (front left if you were sat in the car) anyone know if it can be replaced, anyone have one to sell?

Keep up the good work fellow forum bloggers

1. I think best thing is to get the EGR valve cleaned every time you get the car serviced. Back alley mechanic would charge £40-50 for the work on top of normal servicing.

2. I have discovered that Fuel filter changing is difficult to do so it wont get done if you dont ask for it specifically. So do that when you get it serviced next as it is important.

3. I am no expert but I think that there is another filter at the end of the exhaust pipe (where catalytic converter goes in petrols). It is called diesel particulate filter i think. This filter collects unburned carbon and passes it on to 5th injector which will pass it to engine to burn it away from time to time. (other forum members please collect me if i am wrong)

4. have same question as you for the 19inch wheels

5. Best bet will be to see if any ones breaking a car on eBay and ask them for the plastic insert.

Thanks shepherd, will take note on the servicing tips.

Got the fog light grille insert ordered from lexus Stockport in the end after an online salvage website query didn't return any results - only £3.60 which is good.

Thought about 19in wheels but tyre cost increases significantly and tyre options are limited. If you are in the northwest area wheelbasealloys.com are good and have a showroom in chadderton (north Manchester)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links