Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Free Air

steve2006

Yes I've been driving for some time now having passed my test in 1977 when petrol was 68p a GALLON and the pump attendant would not only put the petrol in your car for you but check your fluid levels and tyre pressures as part of the service and all this without the driver having to put one foot on the ground.

How things have changed but the latest has hit a nerve with me.

We have all seen the tyre pressure machines now installed on most petrol station forecourts alongside the windscreen washer top up machine and the vacuum cleaner with the elephant trunk hose that a fireman would have trouble controlling.

These air machines I found were easy to use, preparation was to remove the valve caps and set the required pressure before starting the machine at a reasonable cost of 20p.

They seem fairly accurate and the beeping noise when you achieve the correct pressure means you are not straining to see the display and they are convenient.

But when I went to my local Total filling station the other day after following the usual preparation I inserted my 20p and..nothing! Further obsevations then revealed the MINIMUM cost was now 50p.

So reluctantly I inserted the extra 30p and carried on.

So we now not only have sky high fuel prices but inflation has now hit 150% on checking your tyre pressures!

No problem,where is that handy 12 volt compressor I got last Christmas along with that digital pressure gauge from Aldi? Oh yes in the garage. Looks like it's in for a harder life from now on.

I know at least Morrisons give you a voucher on request for free air if you spend at least £30.00 on fuel ( not difficult these days) so next time you check your tyres, check the price first or you could be more deflated than your tyres.

Again I don't know if this is widespread practice but the same filling station has 3 pump islands with single pumps dispensing both sides so a maximum of 6 cars can fuel at the same time.

There used to be standard unleaded on all 3 pumps,along with diesel but recently the outer two have been converted to super unleaded ( Ultimate as Total call it).

So the only pump with normal is now the centre pump.

Being local I soon sussed this but now all the locals know and a queue forms for the middle pump leaving the other 2 empty.

Those unaware either fill up with premium with the premium price, look around and realise their mistake (read been conned) and then either drive off without filling up or perform a 12 point turn to join the pre-existing queue on pump island 2.

It would appear from this filling stations are struggling perhaps we ought to insist in paying more for our petrol to help them!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links