Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Slight Knocking Fns

The-Acre

I'm guessing this may be a brake caliper issue but not sure so I thought I'd ask the fonts of all knowledge. When I turn left there's a kind of knocking sound coming from the front near side, but it only happens when braking. Also, and this doesn't happen that much, sometimes it feels as if the ABS has kicked in, but only at slow speeds i.e. 5mph when coming to a stop, but again usually when turning left. There's no movement or play in any of the steering/suspension joints. Hope that makes sense. Any ideas? Thanks

Phil

Mine also does this but the problem goes away when the brakes are freshly serviced,my theory is worn calliper pins causing it and by regreasing them the noise goes but comes back when the grease dries out again.

The pins cost around a tenner each so I may try replacing them next time just to confirm my theory.

Mine also does this but the problem goes away when the brakes are freshly serviced,my theory is worn calliper pins causing it and by regreasing them the noise goes but comes back when the grease dries out again.

The pins cost around a tenner each so I may try replacing them next time just to confirm my theory.

Thanks, that makes sense. I've had the problem for over a year but last summer I got a mechanic to check it out, he said he couldn't find a problem either but greased the caliper and it was hardly noticable for a few months.

Certainly backs up your theory. I need to replace the discs so I'll do that at the same time.

Thanks, that makes sense. I've had the problem for over a year but last summer I got a mechanic to check it out, he said he couldn't find a problem either but greased the caliper and it was hardly noticable for a few months.

Certainly backs up your theory. I need to replace the discs so I'll do that at the same time.

Couple of points; is it a definate noise. I know its a strange question. Do you get any feed back up the s/w?

Again,another strange question, whats the background to the disc change?

Couple of points; is it a definate noise. I know its a strange question. Do you get any feed back up the s/w?

No there is no feedback up the steering wheel just a knocking/clonking noise when slow cornering with the brakes gently applied,there is no noise if you perform the same manoeuvre without braking.

There is another possible cause,again associated with the calliper pins in that they should have what Lexus refer to as 'bushes" or little rubber bands that fit into a groove on the pins.I know on mine 2 are missing and I am wondering if this may be a factor.

This is based on the fact that the bushes prevent direct metal to metal contact between the pins and the hole they fit into and cushion the pins.

Its not exactly a "knock" its more a muffled kind of rumble, hard to define it really. Try this one: Sounds like a wooden box with small pieces of wood being moved around inside!

The reason for the dics change is a wobble when braking over 50mph. I replaced them 2 years ago with cheap ones, fine for about 4 months.

And the other question, I don't really get any feedback up the steering wheel, or maybe very, very slightly.

PS

You must be kidding about 4mpg from yours?? You'd get more from a Hummer!

Its not exactly a "knock" its more a muffled kind of rumble, hard to define it really. Try this one: Sounds like a wooden box with small pieces of wood being moved around inside!

The reason for the dics change is a wobble when braking over 50mph. I replaced them 2 years ago with cheap ones, fine for about 4 months.

And the other question, I don't really get any feedback up the steering wheel, or maybe very, very slightly.

PS

You must be kidding about 4mpg from yours?? You'd get more from a Hummer!

...and of course that last comment was for the "other" Steve. :hehe:

OK guys I have today purchased from Lexus Derby the 4 bushes for the sum of £16.00.I am tomorrow going to service the brakes and fit these new parts to see if this is indeed the cause of the clunking noise or not.

As the noise disappears for a while after re-greasing the pins it may be a while before I can say for sure or not these are the actual cause.

I will also take some pictures of the job.

Coincidentally it was the CT200 launch day at the dealership and I therefore took advantage of the free food and drink available and obtained a much sought after Lexus CT200 shopping bag!Everyone else was dressed for the occasion, I of course called in on my way home from work disguised as an electrician arriving in a Citroen Belingo van!!!!

DSCF0025.jpg

When I ordered the parts I was surprized they had different part numbers for the top and bottom pins but having just looked at them they are different,why I don't know but there must be some reason.If you look carefully at the photograph no.2s have little cut outs in the edges where as no.1s don't ( no jokes about no.1s and 2s.)

Look forward to hearing about the results, and thanks for the info.

It must be a Lexus owners thing because I often go around disguised as a carpenter driving a Vauxhall estate!

PS

My wife asked me why my skin had turned green, I said it's because I've heard that someone has a CT200 shopping bag and I don't. It'll look good filled with Tesco Value products!! :D

• 1 month later...

interesting - I've just picked up my LS400 and it does the same, i thought i was going mad - good to hear its happened before so I'm not mad!!

be interested to hear if your work stops it over time too..

thanks

Steve

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links