Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Vibration

javadude

After a while I noticed that my new wheels didn't seem quite balanced right - got a bit of vibration around 60mph.

Couldn't be bothered to take them back where I bought them - got a company just down the road from where I work to balance them. It made the vibration worse right from 50mph up and def bad around 60-70mph. So they had a 2nd attempt and got it as good as it was before I went to them - the steering wheel wobbles a bit at around 60mph and noticeable vibration from 50mph up.

It seems like they're still not balanced right to me but the tyre place bloke was telling me they'd just had their machine calibrated it must be something else etc etc. So what else could it be? If I get lexus to investigate then I guess it's going to cost me lots of money. I have cheap and nasty tyres - khumos. Could this be the problem? Or wheel bearings, warped disks or something? Or am I just being fobbed off?

it could be a slight buckled alloy..

But they're only a few weeks old and apart from two very slight scrapes against the kerb while parking they're knock-free. Unless they came faulty? Hmmm.

Hmmm perhaps worth a try swapping them though as it would show if it is a problem with a wheel or not.

Thanks.

just a guees, try swopping the wheels round, move the front to back n vice versa, see if this helps, it could be a slight buckled alloy.. :blink:

if it was buckled alloy surely balancing the wheel would correct this???????

dlayen Posted on Jun 18 2003, 10:23 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (imi @ Jun 18 2003, 10:16 AM)

just a guees, try swopping the wheels round, move the front to back n vice versa, see if this helps, it could be a slight buckled alloy.. 

if it was buckled alloy surely balancing the wheel would correct this??????? 

Just that not all garages tell you this or they don't pick it out..

Same thing happend to one of the alloys on my previous cars, went to Gorden Tyres (reptutable company), got the balancing checked and re-done, but the steering was shaking was still there but only slightly, but vibration was there too. :blink:

I then went to garage where i got the wheels from, they checked and said the wheel is buckled, they replaced it for free.. :winky:

• 5 months later...
just a guees, try swopping the wheels round, move the front to back n vice versa, see if this helps, it could be a slight buckled alloy.. :blink:

Wouldn't they notice a buckled alloy when balancing and wouldn't the balancing in theory compensate anyway? I would have thought swapping them would mean you still get a shake but not from the steering wheel.

flotsam Posted on Dec 2 2003, 03:14 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (imi @ Jun 18 2003, 10:16 AM)

just a guees, try swopping the wheels round, move the front to back n vice versa, see if this helps, it could be a slight buckled alloy.. 

Wouldn't they notice a buckled alloy when balancing and wouldn't the balancing in theory compensate anyway? I would have thought swapping them would mean you still get a shake but not from the steering wheel. 

If the front wheel is buckled, then obviously the front end will shake, but if you swop the wheels round, fronts to the back and the backs to the front and then you brake then you will not notice shaking at the front, but only slightly at the back..

Tried and tested..

• 2 weeks later...

surely the weights are there to correct for tyre non-roundness and differing weight around the circumference?

They won't cure the buckle as the wheel will still physically wobble!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links