Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fitting Suspension

gazza0210

Just a quick one,

When fitting new springs to my IS200 do I need to crack any balljoints or can the shocks be removed and replaced without doing so.

Ive herd this is the case and have never done this before so am a little aprehensive.

I have experience with tinkering with cars. I fitted a full spax setup on by bros puma this morning and before anyone says anything I know a puma is like a matchbox toy in comparison to the Lexus. lol.

Any help appreciated guys.

Just a quick one,

When fitting new springs to my IS200 do I need to crack any balljoints or can the shocks be removed and replaced without doing so.

Ive herd this is the case and have never done this before so am a little aprehensive.

I have experience with tinkering with cars. I fitted a full spax setup on by bros puma this morning and before anyone says anything I know a puma is like a matchbox toy in comparison to the Lexus. lol.

Any help appreciated guys.

i crack off the top ball joints mate it makes it a hell of a lot easyer to remove the strut....thats just me though....

Am I right in saying that you need a ball joint splitter, and when refitting the balljoint just clicks into place as the nut is tightened ??

no mate just wack the bit that the joint goes through that'll loosen it up..and yes to the next part

hi mate ive recently lowered my lexus and i can say its very fiddly if you dont remove anything from the front setup. you can get it out by turning the wheel and moving the shock up/down but if the balljoint comes off easy enough just do that. as for the back i had to remove the rear caliper to get the shock out, i dont know if this is the case with other people when they have done it :)

Interested to hear Ormie's advice on splitting balljoints. I know that the screw type splitters can easily damage the ends of the threads, especially around the drill throughs for split-pins. Maybe the fork type splitters are better in this regard. Must try the whacking method in future!

i always wack first and it has worked 100% of the time as the fork type splitters cut the ball joint dust cover and the screw ones can mushroom the head of the ball joint......

as for the rear it is tight and my 6 foot lever helps but removing the rear anti roll bar(the 12mm bolts and brackets that hold the d bush)this makes it a hell of a lot easyer to lever down.....

and meat baw heed yip that was my car in fast car and it was me in penicuik i was just coming back from work i like in penicuik..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links