Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rolling Back On Hills Is250Auto

Hello people! Your learned advice would be appreciated - has anybody else had this...

Normal:-) I am coming to a stop on a hill the IS will creep and I brake and I come to a stop it will then hold without braking. Thats what I consider normal on an auto box (Is that right?)

Unusual :-( Lately I've been finding that I come to a stop and then when I release the brakes the car rolls back and it won't hold - or if I try again. Time to engage the creaky footbrake.

This was on quite a steep hill if that makes any difference??

Worse still today I was going up a steepish hill and as I approached the junction I braked to stop.. the gearbox did'nt hold - I rolled back and to my slight alarm the traction control light started blinking while

rolling back - never seen that before!!

Is this a problem anybody else has had?

Many thanks

Marcus

Hello people! Your learned advice would be appreciated - has anybody else had this...

Normal:-) I am coming to a stop on a hill the IS will creep and I brake and I come to a stop it will then hold without braking. Thats what I consider normal on an auto box (Is that right?)

Unusual :-( Lately I've been finding that I come to a stop and then when I release the brakes the car rolls back and it won't hold - or if I try again. Time to engage the creaky footbrake.

Worse still today I was going up a steepish hill and as I approached the junction I braked to stop.. the gearbox did'nt hold - I rolled back and to my slight alarm the traction control light started blinking while

rolling back - never seen that before!!

Is this a problem anybody else has had?

Many thanks

Marcus

It entirely depends on the gradient of the hill. A slight gradient and the car holds, a steeper one and the car will roll back. This is entirely normal for my IS250 and I suspect all of them. As for the traction control light coming on, I've never let the car roll back enough for this to be activated, but if the car rolls back for some distance then I guess it's normal for the light to come on.

The 'unusual' case you describe is perfectly normal for automatic transmissions, with the degree of rollback being determined by the gradient of the hill and the tickover speed of the engine.

However, I do have some recollection of reading about an 'auto hold' feature that would hold the car in the manner you describe in your 'normal' case. Having said that, my IS250 SE auto has never done it, so I assumed it was either an SE-L feature or was only added to later cars.

I'd be interested to hear any other peoples' comments.

The Auto Brake works in my experience even on Mt. Blanc in the Swiss Alps i.e. if the revs fail to hold on the incline the car rolls back slightly triggering the H/brake.

Tel

Thanks for your replies so far.. My cars a 2006 but I'll have a look in the manual to see if this autobrake function is mentioned - maybe it will say that the traction control light is to warn of rolling back?? Or maybe that an expensive service is required :huh: !

Will report back..

Marcus

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links