Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I Need Help Putting Power Steering Fluid In Twice A Day

im putting in p/s fluid twice a day and now there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. i know its going to be expensive to fix so i want to know what it is when i bring it to my mechanic. so far i have heard it could be the ps valve assembley pressure switch. my mechanic thinks it the steering rack does that sound right? i know nothing about this stuff and do not want to get taken to the cleaners on this repair.

Maybe this thread will help Clicky

Thats the 1st time Ive even heard of that so thanks for the post.

Of course, its now set me thinking "do I have the problem"? I top up the p/s fluid once a month due to the dreaded leak but this time of year clouds of white smoke are fairly normal. Or so I thought.

• 1 month later...
Maybe this thread will help Clicky

Thats the 1st time Ive even heard of that so thanks for the post.

Of course, its now set me thinking "do I have the problem"? I top up the p/s fluid once a month due to the dreaded leak but this time of year clouds of white smoke are fairly normal. Or so I thought.

i was always under the impression that white smoke meant water in the system somewhere it shouldnt be and was also told thick white smoke was a disaster and stop the car right then, and dark smoke meant oil somewhere it shouldnt be burning.

You need to think how cold the day and the engine are when looking at white 'smoke'.

Smoke is thicker than the big exhaust clouds that the LS trickles out and white smoke is serious trouble with the engine head gasket.

Fix the leak yer lazy so & so - its costs a fiver and it takes an hour if you dont have a brew. Get the engine bay steam cleaned so you can trace the leak. It comes from either underneath the reservoir which is the o-ring replacement job (£2+ postage), or like mine it was leaking from the cooler pipe (open bonnet look down at bottom of fan, see fig.of8 steel pipe - this leaked as a clip had fell off over the years and i was lucky it was just a fiver from the scrapyard :winky: just over £100 at dealers i think

So i fixed 2 leaks on p/s for around £8.

Cheers for any advice people

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links