Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Following recent discussions on charging batteries which go flat if the Lexus is not used for a while.

Bought a new charger today from Lidl. Looks quite technical and capable and is very compact.

Instructions say that you should disconnect the leads from the Battery terminals on the car before attaching the charger leads and charging.

Doing so would presumably lose the Radio Code (if one is set).

Is this a normal thing to have to do or is the manufacturer just covering themselves in case a freak surge damages the car??

Certainly not something I did on the old charger.

Roy

Following recent discussions on charging batteries which go flat if the Lexus is not used for a while.

Bought a new charger today from Lidl. Looks quite technical and capable and is very compact.

Instructions say that you should disconnect the leads from the battery terminals on the car before attaching the charger leads and charging.

Doing so would presumably lose the Radio Code (if one is set).

Is this a normal thing to have to do or is the manufacturer just covering themselves in case a freak surge damages the car??

Certainly not something I did on the old charger.

Roy

yep you should disconect the leads ( it could damadge your alternator) the outher option is to buy an optimate charger ( no need to disconnect battery) which can be conected when you park the car up at home & keeps the Battery topped up.

Hi

Yes you should disconnect the Battery.

When my Battery was disconnected for work, on reconnection the remote doesnt work but it can be reprogrammed by following the instructions given in various posts on here. I have not had to enter a code for the radio to work and this includes after the Battery was off for 5 days whilst I had a completely new a/c system.

Steve

Some makes recommend removing the Battery cables.

Personally, on my Series two, I have never removed the cables when charging and

never had a problem.

On a scrap series one I keep to rob for some parts I keep this charged the same way to keep

the electrics good and so I can move it to wash it.

If I forget and it is totally discharged, when I put the charger on the alarm goes off until you

turn the key in the ignition.

If the radio has had a code put in this will need updating again, otherwise all as normal.

Hope my laziness doesn't catch up with me...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links