Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Future Of The Is?

The rumours you have heard are 'sort of' true.

Yes the Mk2 IS will be released in 2005, and it seems that the straight-6 will be replaced with 2 or 3 V6 engines.

Also, Lexus will be offering their first Diesel engine with the Mk2.

As for more engines in 2004, this reffers to the US market only currently having the IS300... and are planning on releasing the 200 there soon.

Ian.

so i buy my new SE next week and have it's value trashed by a new model in 18months time... hmm doesn't sound like such a bargain to me anymore ... :(

what's the depreciation hit likely to be then? considering i'll probably want to up-trade to the new model if i can afford it...

Lexus hold their value well, but if you take Toyota as a recent example of a new model release, a 1year avensis is going for 10K - that's 50% depreciation in its first year. if my IS is only worth 12 grand in 18months time i'll be hanging myself :excl::hehe: could that happen??

Lexus are meant to hold there value very well Davecat. You could look at this way that there will be some bargains to be had just before the launch of the new model as some members still like the smoothnessof the straight-six.

Noooo, don't get me on the old depreciation lark again :shifty:

If you buy a new car and then get rid of it 12-18 months later, you're going to lose a packet anyway. Yes the introduction of a new model will have a small negative effect, but as a percentage of what you've already lost, it's quite small.

IS200_Depreciation.gif

Source: whatcar.com

I think you have to compare like with like. Look at say the BMW (yes he said it!!) 3-series and the Merc C-Class.

When they get face lifted, the old ones are still mega expensive!! Hopefully that will hold true for ours too.

so i buy my new SE next week and have it's value trashed by a new model in 18months time... hmm doesn't sound like such a bargain to me anymore ... :(

what's the depreciation hit likely to be then? considering i'll probably want to up-trade to the new model if i can afford it...

Lexus hold their value well, but if you take Toyota as a recent example of a new model release, a 1year avensis is going for 10K - that's 50% depreciation in its first year. if my IS is only worth 12 grand in 18months time i'll be hanging myself :excl::hehe: could that happen??

Its more than 18 months away, I'm sure it will be more like 2 years which is a lot in car model terms. '2005' doesn't mean it will be released on 1st jan, it will be sometime in that year.

Look at it this way, BMW 'update' their 3-series every 2 years, and that doesnt effect second hand values.

Now, I'm not saying that the Mk2 wont cause the values of Mk1's to drop, but if you did buy one, then you could have 2 years of great fun, and then always trade up....

In any case, it's often best to wait a few months before buying a brand new model to avoid any glitches. (Of course this is less true if the model has been on sale in Japan for while.)

I'm puzzled as to why they'd move from a straight 6 to a vibration-prone V6. Is it because they hope to mount the engine tranveresely in other models such as the Avensis or (shudder) Camry.

A diesel (sadly) makes sense to break int Europe, but in the UK wouldn't a decent 4 cyl be a better compromise between smoothness, torque and low CO2 emissions (important in the co. car market)?

Peter

I'm puzzled as to why they'd move from a straight 6 to a vibration-prone V6. Is it because they hope to mount the engine tranveresely in other models such as the Avensis or (shudder) Camry.

Easier to package - a v6 is a lot shorter than an i6, so shorter bonnet and easier to achieve crash performance, especially with upcoming pedestrian safety ratings.

Of course that'll make it harder to fit a supercharger without the handy space on the right hand side :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links