Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Just had my GS300 Sport 80k serviced at a cost of a reasonable £331, its quite a nice drive now but just developed a small noise on the belt tensioner (might be able to grease it up?!)

They have quoted me 4.3k worth of repairs to it!

Needs- Balljoints, upper wishbones, strut is worn, needs 1 rear shock, shims on brakes are missing, small leak to crankshaft, aircon pipe is leaking, rear discs are worn etc etc

I would like to firstly get the aircon and brakes sorted asap, Where can I get the front brake pad shims?!

Nice quote hey!

Ouch. Some big jobs there although shop around for sure for some of them.

The brake pad shims I would get from Lexus, they come as a complete set. Mind you, they are not a neccessity IMO, they just help prevent squeal from the brakes.

The crank oil leak is a common fault. Had to have it done on mine and requires the gearbox to be removed. Lexus quoted £950 I think it was, got it done for £330 by a local place including changing the torque convertor oil seal at the same time.

Upper wishbones are a pretty simple job to change, I did a tutorial here when I did one of mine. clicky

Discs and pads are easy to do yourself too, I did a tutorial on the front brakes, rears are similar bar the foot/hand brake drum and shoes. clicky

Not a lot you can do regarding the aircon pipe other than get another one. Bit of a lottery getting a second hand one so your call really. One of the pipes on mine was replaced just before I got it, and from what I remember, it was an unpleasant price.

I certainly think if you are ok with a spanner and happy to get your hands dirty, the brakes, balljoints, wishbones, dampers are all easy wins at fairly cheap prices.

Not sure what they mean by strut being worn, any extra info on that one?

Left report at home on my desk so hopefully bro will read this and report back as im in work till late!

I can possibly get a friend to do the brakes, not bothered about rear brakes just yet but would like to get rid of the squeal?!

Any part numbers for the shim kits?easy to fit as well?

They squeal like a bitch!

Left report at home on my desk so hopefully bro will read this and report back as im in work till late!

I can possibly get a friend to do the brakes, not bothered about rear brakes just yet but would like to get rid of the squeal?!

Any part numbers for the shim kits?easy to fit as well?

They squeal like a bitch!

If they are squealing like a stuck pig, then they are probably worth getting then. Shims are simple to fit, just need to remove pads and then put everything back together including the shims. Oh, and don't forget a tube of copper slip to put in between shims/pads/caliper. Looks like you either buy the pad kit which comes with the pads and shims for about £75, or buy the shims seperately. You will need 4 x Shim No1 P/N 74444-14130 and 4 x Shim No2 P/N 47745-14060. I think all eight should come to somewhere around £25 all in, minus LOC discount if they give it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links