Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Should The UK Go Euro?

Do you think we should move to the Euro?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should move to the Euro?

• Yes
    • No

I think the Euro is great! Imagine not having to change currency abroad and 1 Euro equals 1 Dollar - it's great.

But it appears that our economy is too far out or sync with France and Germany etc.... :blink:

So in essence, we will take a view on whether Britain has met the 5 economic tests half way through this parlement with a view to holding a referedum if said tests are met.... blah, blah....yadda...yadda.... :whistling:

I'm really torn on this issue, I think that the UK economy is too autonomous from Europe to benifit from switching, plus, I feel losing the pound we would lose our national identity. (No more queen on notes).

On the other hand, I travel into Europe frequently, and would save me loads of hassle at Travelex.

Just FYI, my collegue in the Netherlands told me, when they switched to the Euro, the price of everything went up between 5 and 10%, because traders could take advantage of the confusion of changing exchange rates!

But so far, it looks like we don't want the Euro...

Trublion in the room, bonjour tout le monde :-)

Vote for as a euro user, and there is another vote for, who might be :-) ?

Anyway, turning UK to the Euro now will cost a lot, much more now than if UK joined at the begining, I don't think this is good to do at the moment, recession is on the way and it might not be a good idea to waste money.

@d'taleur

Until the government actually tell us what the benefits/losses are in plain English I don't know that we can really comment. Would be fantastic to go on holiday and actually know how much things cost, though.

IMO....I think it will be the final straw in a long line of *****-ups from the government....talking from a bank rate point of view the pound has been stronger than any other currency for a long time! Our economy will continue to be much stronger if we keep it!

I also feel like it will be taking away our individuality...and on a personal note i'm proud to have British Pounds in my pocket!

I voted no - slowly but surely the government is selling us down the river. A common currency is the precursor to closer European relations, and ultimately full European Union.

I don't want to be a part of a United States of Europe - we don't even have a common language, and our cultures are far too diverse for us to ever be anything less than suspicious of other members.

Sod it. I work in Euroland but perleeez. It's monopoly money. it ain't going to work. on me way to click NO.

and slighty off topic,

The whole thing is a big mess. dover - calais is only 32milesof water but a big cultural difference it is. Imagine you driving from london to Luton and everyone's mentality is completely different. not saying which is good or bad, but why would somebody dictate interest rates to another person when he doesn't even have a clue how the other's economy work.

for a start, there's going to be too much fighting between the Brits,French, and Germans. No one will be prepared to give an inch even if you think the other is right.

rant over.

This one's a No Brainer.

There is no way that there can be a single monetary policy to satisfy all of the different regions of Europe, including the former Eastern European countries and Turks who are banging on the door.

Who in their right mind would want an unelected, irremovable and corrupt organisation in a different country, to make decisions that affect our lives and business?

The EC cannot agree on too many issues. Lets face it, if France had it's way Sadam Hussein would still be in power.

This is surely the most stupid idea in living memory.

Sounds like the same old same old to me, let the sheep get on with it while we do what needs to be done - let the Europeans make a mess of it like they always do, and let the English take the brave course - say no to the sheep.

Teddy Posted on May 19 2003, 04:28 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine you driving from london to Luton and everyone's mentality is completely different.

Have you been to Luton recently? :)

big no for me, ive been in germany 13 years.....ahhhhhhhh, the times, anyway,

the germans are in dire trouble at the moment, they blame it all on the euro, as do the danish and the dutch,

i thought the change over was a farce, some prices doubled, strangley not one single price dropped.

if the UK was to join, our economy would suffer irepairable damage.

bollox to europefing37.gif........long live the 53rd state

8 actually Mat, you know already one :P

As I'm not living in UK, my vote is nul.

Now seriously, and it's just my silly opinion regarding Euro land, I still believe it's the most important change since the WWII, we're now in deficit due to the prices increasment, big bro Euro eyes are on France saying that we have to do economy, they planed a 1,5% and the reality is 3,5% increasment, this is probably similar in most of the Euro countries, Germany suffered of floods adding this with the Euro, they are economicaly badly damaged. Even if it was one of the country praying for Euro, the parity was made for them, not for all the others countries.

BUT as the recession is otw, the situation will be better after, and I bet the Euro will be far more effective then.

Now I'm in favor of the Euro, because it's the only way to be competitive against North America and Asia markets, it's easy now to buy for example through the net goods in USA, with the shipping it's even cheaper than in Europe.

NOW, I'm definitly in favor of the Euro and the Euro land concept, we need to be joined to be more effective (Murphy's law), but I definitly don't want to see Turkia and all the others countries applying for Euro land to come in. Or we will have Europe with two speed, one for rich countries and the other one for poor.

Seeing how is managing Turkia the Kurd problem, I don't think this country is a democraty, and for the others, I don't want to pay for them. Anyway maybe Europe is seeking for low cost production in this countries.

Unluckily we don't have the right to say YES or NO for having more countries in Europe with a referundum.

@d'taleur

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links