Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Siezed Caliper Slide Pin Removal

eigenvalue

I have a badly siezed RH front caliper upper slide pin on my IS200 (42,000 miles). I have read the excellent guide on

this overhaul by TigerFish. After a bit of persuasion the pin can now be turned slightly but is still a very long way from sliding.

I am concerned about possible damage to the torque plate if the pin is forced out? Also there might be possible damage

to the pin itself, or to the boot in the process. Is there a recommended safe spray lubricant to ease the pin? Is there a 'best' way to force the pin out with minimal damage? Once out I take it that the pin should be cleaned up of any corrosion and reused if still reasonable (with plenty of lithium grease).

Any advice on this would be very welcome. Thanks to everyone.

I wouldn't expect the torque plate to suffer too much from the removal process. Seized ones I generally keep turning them 'til they free up as much as possible, then force them out by twisting and pulling with a pair of pliers. Eventually they come out. You could try any of the penetrating oils to try and help with the removal. If you get really desperate or frustrated, if you push the boot back off the end of the slide pin (back down towards the torque plate), you can get a screw driver on the lip and use a hammer to drift them out.

.....successfully managed to free off the sticking slider pin - from being badly siezed to sliding freely. The problem was not corrosion as I expected but black gunge (solidified grease?). Had to resort to not so gentle persuasion using a hammer and chisel to get the pin out. However it was in good condition and, after cleaning off the black gunge, it was replaced with lithium-based grease. It then freed off rapidly. Took the opportunity to remove and re-grease the other 3 front slider pins at the same time. All the caliper pistons were checked and were moving freely. It will obviously be a regular task to check and re-grease the slider pins - pretty easy to do now that I know how!

Again thanks to TigerFish for the good advice.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links