Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake Overhaul - Any Help Advice?

Manc

Hello,

I recently bought pads all round and the caliper kit for my 93 LS400.

But just before i was gonna do it all, i was driving and pressed the brakes and i noticed a pressure change in the pedal. They were suddenly like the old drum brakes and stopped the car fine - but only if you tried to put the pedal thro the floor into the engine bay.

i looked underneath and fluid was running out all over my backbox and gasket - typical eh?

The guilty part is a thin 6ft pipe at the rear of the car taking the fluid from one side of the car to the other...

I need to replace this pipe and was suprised at how cheap it is from Lexus - £35 with a tub of fluid???? - I was quoted £120 for a p/s pipe half the size, so i do hope £35 is the right price

Anyway, i was reading the info on bleeding brakes and the caliper refurb and they say to start at the rear left etc, but it is essential that the reservoir stays level at all times.....

mine is already empty and will no doubt have lots of air in the system already due to the hole in the pipe

I was planning on replacing the leaky long pipe 1st, then doing the pads and caliper refurb in the order listed and bleeding each wheel as i go along

Is that going to be ok, (except of course for the amount of fluid i might use!)

or is there something i should look out for? Obviously i know i have to remove all air in brake systems and i was just checking if my method was gonna bring me dodgy brakes as i have only changed pads before now.

Is there anything important i should know?

It all depends of course if i can get the damn thing off, it looks very old under there and the pipe goes into a junction with others so it could be a can of worms before i even start.....

Plenty of WD40 on the connections and patience getting them undone without twisting the pipes

Fit the new one following the recomended order, best if someone helps with the bleeding.holding the

pedal down/topping up etc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links