Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Manifold And Catalytic Converter

I just took my 2003 RX300 to the dealer who told me that it might not pass inspection next time since the manifold (is that what we used to call the 'engine pipe') is going bad and will need to be replaced. He also said that the new part included a catalytic converter that together would cost a small fortune. Does this sound reasonable and can anyone think of any alternatives.

Thanks

Well the manifold is the casting/fabricated pipework from the head face to the downpipe, the downpipe is usually where a "close coupled" catalyst resides, there can also be down stream catalysts of course somewhere within the normal exhaust pipework. Close coupled are getting more and more common as cats are required to "fire up" faster for emissions.

I am not sure if the manifold is a one piece with a close coupled cat built in on the RX, haven't really looked too closely. If it is and the manifold is corroded then could well require replacement, but seems a bit odd as the manifold always runs very hot and suffers little from rust as it dries out easily!

If its the downpipe with cat then its more probable but still unusual as it too runs very hot, might be mechanical failure rather than corrosion I suppose, I think you need to get a bit more clarity on just exactly what he meant.

Best regards David

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links