Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I seem to be suffering some pretty poor reliability with the brakes on my RX300 ('04). The car does relatively low mileage per year as it's one of a few vehicles in use in the family. However, I had the discs and pads replaced about 14months ago and already the discs feel warped and are giving a wierd feeling under medium to hard braking. In Europe the other week, even lightly touching the brakes caused sever shudder through the pedal and car!

So, the question is, has anyone tried any after-market discs on their RX, and if so what were they and what were the results.

I had a high-performance Audi a while ago which I upgraded to drilled brembo discs, and boy-oh-boy was the difference noticable, both in power AND wear. Just wondered if the same would be true of the Lexus. I don't need (really) the extra performance, but for a set of discs to warp/wear within 12k miles seems a little.....odd.

In most cases the vibration you feel is not down to warped discs it only feels that way.

Usually the cause is that the discs have got hot and then while the discs have been hot the brakes have been left on with the wheels not turning and the result is some of the pad material is deposited onto the discs hence the next time you brake you feel the vibration as the pads/discs warm up.

I have just done a front disc and pad change on my car and when the old discs where inspected and are not warped.

In most cases the vibration you feel is not down to warped discs it only feels that way.

Usually the cause is that the discs have got hot and then while the discs have been hot the brakes have been left on with the wheels not turning and the result is some of the pad material is deposited onto the discs hence the next time you brake you feel the vibration as the pads/discs warm up.

Thats a new one on me and I've been in the automotive research and engineering industry for over 30 years......we do have instances of discs that have been used on downhill towing tests being left with the pads clamped (ie brakes on) warping or causing high spots on the discs due to uneven cooling of the discs, this is part of standard test procedures for most manufacturers usually and only happens in a few circumstances.

The pads can becomes "glazed" if left in contact with high temp surface of the disc......I suppose it is possible for poorer quality pads to deposit residue on the discs in this circumstance but it should be removed quite easily with application of the brakes......unless the discs are crap too? :lol:

As too the OP question it could be that your getting a bit of corrosion on the discs due to low usage and fairly gentle use (around town) will not remove this so easily, especially if you leave the vehicle with the parking brake applied for long periods.

Best regards David

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links