Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Anyone Converted Their Mk4 To Lpg?

A local breaker has an LS400 which is a 1998 IIRC and it is on LPG. I have a 1999 and would love some of that 50p a litre fuel LOL. I ran my ol' Cadillac on the stuff and it was great. Anyway, the kit on the scrap car is made by "Tomassetta" as far as I know and thats all I know.

I also know some makes and model of car don't run so well on gas as petrol so wondered if anyone has any feedback on that.

Cheers

A local breaker has an LS400 which is a 1998 IIRC and it is on LPG. I have a 1999 and would love some of that 50p a litre fuel LOL. I ran my ol' Cadillac on the stuff and it was great. Anyway, the kit on the scrap car is made by "Tomassetta" as far as I know and thats all I know.

I also know some makes and model of car don't run so well on gas as petrol so wondered if anyone has any feedback on that.

Cheers

My 92 LS400 runs perfectly on gas, I have only had it for a couple of weeks (and its currently playing up, another story) but when it was running, it would start on petrol, and switch over to gas when reved over 2000, changeover not noticable, apart from light on dash

Hi I had my 99 model mark4 converted, I have a brc plug & drive multipoint system fitted ( it runs better on gas than petrol with this system) I had it done last December ,I have done around 6,000 miles since My mpg equverlent is apx 30mpg urban 55mpg at 75mph, & 80mpg when driving in Belguim ( gas is 32cents a litre ).

You have to go for a multipoint system on the mark 4 due to the complex fuel management system. I tried a single point first & it didn't work.

The brc plug & drive ecu follows the same fuel map as the petrol ecu, so it pulls the same on both gas or petrol.

Go for it just get it set up properly. ( best find an installer who will agree to set it up for you before you buy the kit used)

really champagne motoring on beer money.

ta Mark

As Mybikesacx500 says you need multipoint injection for the year.

There is a good LPG installer at Ripley called Autotech ( Nottingham Road) they used to look after my converted KV6 Rover 800 it may be worth contacting them first.

my plan is simply to lift it off the scrap car and fit it to mine. As they are both Mk4 I don't see there should be too much to trip me up. I have the offer of help from a lad who has converted a few modern cars (Mondeo etc) to gas. My insurance company didn't seem at all abothered about installation certificates when I was looking at a preconverted car, nor did they ever ask for one for my Cadillac. However I reckon to be on the safe side I would try get a certificate after the install from someone like Autotech then.

My concern is that some modern cars (Alfa and Honda spring to mind) get issues when run on LPG with valves burning etc.

I presume the in-dash computer will no longer be able to provide me MPG and range data once I am on gas though? Or is there a way to adapt this also? sadly the LS400 I am butchering for the conversion is not with its owner but with a breakers yard so they know nothing other than the brand of the LPG kit on the car.

Hi

valves I have a flashlube kit on mine, I dont think it is needed , the installers fitted it as a precation as the gs 300s suffer burnt out valves, A mate of mine has done 150,000 miles on gas on his Ls with no flash lube & has had no problems his ls has 240,000 on it now, as I said before get it set up properly & you should be fine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links