Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hey Everyone - I've just had a nasty thought....

With the last month or two I've had a rattling sound from my Mk2 GS300, sounds like a load of gravel rattling on tin (Can't hear it with the windows up, but driving through town with a window open it's very prominent). I thought it was gravel stuck under a plastic cover or a loose piece of exhaust, etc. but I've checked all those and seems okay.

Other thing I've noticed is, after a drive, turn off engine and there's still steam coming out the right hand side exhaust for a few minutes afterwards (nothing outa the left)...

I've a fecking cat gone haven't I :question: :tsktsk:

With the last month or two I've had a rattling sound from my Mk2 GS300, sounds like a load of gravel rattling on tin (Can't hear it with the windows up, but driving through town with a window open it's very prominent). I thought it was gravel stuck under a plastic cover or a loose piece of exhaust, etc. but I've checked all those and seems okay.

Other thing I've noticed is, after a drive, turn off engine and there's still steam coming out the right hand side exhaust for a few minutes afterwards (nothing outa the left)...

Forgot to add - After parking up following a very hard drive there's a fierce burning smell around the car... More I think about it it's gotta be a bad cat :crybaby:

Someone put me out of my misery :shutit:

Forgot to add - After parking up following a very hard drive there's a fierce burning smell around the car... More I think about it it's gotta be a bad cat :crybaby:

Someone put me out of my misery :shutit:

Right - just tried a few things....

No rattling at idle or at any revs when stationary - only when driving over rough surfaces!

Maybe it is just gravel or something :unsure:

Right - just tried a few things....

No rattling at idle or at any revs when stationary - only when driving over rough surfaces!

Maybe it is just gravel or something :unsure:

You might be lucky mate - I had a Rav4 that the cat went on and you could hear the rattle you describe quite clearly when revving up stationary - probably worse when car still cold.. Not sure about the smoke / burning issue though.. maybe just overfilled the oil.? Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can confirm...

Get under the car mate and give the exhaust a thump with your hand all the way along. Something should rattle at some point if it is the exhaust or cat and pinning down the location should be easy. Only issues I've had with mine is the heat shields, some of them wrap around the exhaust and can have stones in them or just be loose and rattle. Also check the dampers bolted to the exhaust just before the back boxes (they are two fairly large rubber "chunks" bolted to the exhaust itself), worth checking that the rubber washers have not done a bunk and they are loose.

Get under the car mate and give the exhaust a thump with your hand all the way along. Something should rattle at some point if it is the exhaust or cat and pinning down the location should be easy. Only issues I've had with mine is the heat shields, some of them wrap around the exhaust and can have stones in them or just be loose and rattle. Also check the dampers bolted to the exhaust just before the back boxes (they are two fairly large rubber "chunks" bolted to the exhaust itself), worth checking that the rubber washers have not done a bunk and they are loose.

Thanks for the replies - Haven't had a chance yet to get under the car proper as have nothing to put her up on at the moment... Will check as soon as I can as I think the power is slightly down too, might take it to local garage next week and ask them to get it up on a ramp and have a look at it with me.

Thanks again for the advice, will check all that you suggest....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links