Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Replacing Brake Lines

Steviewevie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Might be worth seeing if you can see from the label on your seat belt when your car was built"

lol, didn't know there was a label on my seatbelts that has a date on it?? Is it only labeled on one seat belt or all of them?

Yeah that's something I learned from this forum. There's a label at the base of the seat belts (both, I think), saying when the seat belts were made. That's likely to be pretty close to the date when your car was built.

This will make a noticeable improvement Stevie, when Neil gave me an hand starting this at WIM

(then Mark took over and did all the hard work). Admittedly I went with new Mintex Pads all round,

but I am very happy how the car stops, as i think you will be too. Very cost effective mod IMO :)

BTW don't forget to declare it to your insurance company :shutit:

Yeah don't worry I'll be telling them !

so stevie havent you done this yet? i have got my brake pads and brake lines so if ormi free this weekend we would fit still need to ask him.

Not yet. Waiting for my Plus Gas to arrive, to help me loosen the existing connectors. And I was also waiting to check if the connectors were the right type for the car or not, which they do seem to be. So I hope to get it done soon.

yip asi all free to do your pads fit your hose's and clean your air con.wont take too long a hour and a half or so. :winky:

the ones on asi's car were d types also known as fe-male pipe ends.

Great, thanks. So which brake lines were they exactly ? It sounds like we have sets that come with the D-type connectors, like Asi's, which seem like they should be suitable for post-2000 cars. Then there are sets like the ones I got with S-type connectors which should be ok for 1999/2000 cars.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Fitting my Goodridge hoses today.

Can anyone please confirm the fluid type I need and how much I should buy if Im going to drain and renew the whole system whilst im at it?

Thanks

Can anyone please confirm the fluid type I need and how much I should buy if Im going to drain and renew the whole system whilst im at it?

You need either DOT 3, DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 brake fluid (don't use DOT 5, it's a different type and doesn't mix). If you're going to replace all the fluid you might as well go for DOT 5.1, it's better than the others (absorbs less moisture) and Toyota sell it for a pretty cheap price. I asked the question about the quantity before and there doesn't seem to be a precise figure quoted in the manuals, but it seems that 3 litres should be plenty enough.

my fluid was needing changed anyway.

So as the manual recommends DOT 3 my car will probably currently have DOT 3 in it, I can still replace what I lose with 5.1 without any complications?

To drain the system - do I simply depress the pedal with the pipes removed until nothing comes out?

my fluid was needing changed anyway.

So as the manual recommends DOT 3 my car will probably currently have DOT 3 in it, I can still replace what I lose with 5.1 without any complications?

To drain the system - do I simply depress the pedal with the pipes removed until nothing comes out?

Your car will probably have either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 in it, I think DOT 3 is a bit old to be used these days (though I could be wrong). Yes you can mix 5.1 with what's in there safely.

No, don't just press the brake pedal till nothing comes out, don't let the brake reservoir run dry otherwise you'll get air in the system, and if you get air into the ABS actuator you'll probably end up having to take it to Lexus to get it fixed !

Bleed it a bit at a time, keep topping up the reservoir. Then when you start to see the new clean fluid come through, then you know you've done enough on that one, and move to the next.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links