Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Replacing Brake Lines

Steviewevie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

asi if stevie hasn't beaten us too it if you have a camera we could do a pic walk through on how to do it! :winky:

ormi bought brake pads and braided lines so should have them this week i was wondering when you are free we could do this and a walkthrough aswell

asi if stevie hasn't beaten us too it if you have a camera we could do a pic walk through on how to do it! :winky:

ormi bought brake pads and braided lines so should have them this week i was wondering when you are free we could do this and a walkthrough aswell

yo dude!!working this weekend but i'm free next weekend is that cool?what parts we replacing?brake lines.......?

yeah next week end is fine mate. we replacing brake lines, front pads and rear pads. is that fine?

thats cool dude!!easy job!we'll do a walk through too. :winky:

thanks ormi. i would get brake fluid as well and need to look for my camera aswell.

i've got plenty brake fluid dude!i'll bring that proper toyota stuff too!! :winky:

thanks ormi. i would get brake fluid as well and need to look for my camera aswell.

i've got plenty brake fluid dude!i'll bring that proper toyota stuff too!! :winky:

thanks ormi. could you pm me you r number will giver you phone next week to see what is going on

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now a bit concerned about the connectors, because looking at the parts diagram here, it looks like there are two types of connectors from these brake lines to the main brake tubing, called "S-type" and "D-type", as shown in more detail in this diagram.

Presumably I need the right type or it's not going to work. With something so important as my brakes, I don't want to risk the wrong part !

Does anyone know how I work out if mine are right or not ? It would be nice to be able to tell without having to try and fit it - e.g. I don't know if the wrong type will still fit together but just not work properly ! :ohmy:

I'm now a bit concerned about the connectors, because looking at the parts diagram here, it looks like there are two types of connectors from these brake lines to the main brake tubing, called "S-type" and "D-type", as shown in more detail in this diagram.

Presumably I need the right type or it's not going to work. With something so important as my brakes, I don't want to risk the wrong part !

Does anyone know how I work out if mine are right or not ? It would be nice to be able to tell without having to try and fit it - e.g. I don't know if the wrong type will still fit together but just not work properly ! :ohmy:

the only way of telling would be to unscrew the metal brake pipe and look at the end..oh well asi i'd better bring the brake pipe tool as well!!!lol

yep i was just going to mention that...... there are 2 types of connection - earlier and later models.

Looking around on eBay, for all the brake line sets being sold for the IS200, none appear to say there's any dependency on the model year, just that they're suitable for 99 onwards (i.e. all IS200s).

However, Prolex's site do say that the month/year needs to be specified, and TRD's own site shows two different part numbers for the Altezza depending on model year.

It's clear to me that there are two different types now, just feeling a bit annoyed with the eBay sellers who seem oblivious to this fact !

Looking at the make-up of the part numbers, Toyota list these brake lines as follows (for the front) :

90947-02A41 - S-type

90947-02C28 - D-type

Going on the fact that A comes before C in the alphabet, this *might* mean that the S-type are the earlier ones, and D-type later. This is also consistent with this diagram, which *could* be interpreted as meaning that the S-type is earlier and D-type later. Also, that latter diagram seems to show a line across the nut on the S-type which isn't there on the D-type, so maybe it's possible to tell visually without unscrewing the connector ?

My car is an early one, and I've been sent the S-type connector. So I'm hoping that my logic here is correct and I've actually (by luck) got the right fitting !

Yes, there are two types:

Earlier 1999/01, S-type, n# part 90947-02A42 (rear) 90947-02A41 (front)

Later 2000/05, D-type, n# part 90947-02A29 (rear) 90947-02A30 (front)

Anyone got a picture of where to look for these "S" and "D" type connectors? I was after braided brake lines and i didn't know there was different types, and unfortunately my lexus is a late '01 and thats when they started changing parts etc.

Thanks.

Anyone got a picture of where to look for these "S" and "D" type connectors? I was after braided brake lines and i didn't know there was different types, and unfortunately my lexus is a late '01 and thats when they started changing parts etc.

Do you mean where to get the connectors ? Or where to get lines that have the right connectors on ?

I contacted the guy I bought my brake lines from, and he insists there's only one type for the UK. I think he's wrong though, perhaps he's just been lucky in selling them only for early IS200s in the past ?

Might be worth seeing if you can see from the label on your seat belt when your car was built (e.g. could have been built in early 2001 and registered later).

From the look of that diagram it would seem that the nut with the connector will be different depending on the type. This is the connector that goes into the rest of the brake line, i.e. not at the caliper end but at the other end, going into the wheel arch.

"Might be worth seeing if you can see from the label on your seat belt when your car was built"

lol, didn't know there was a label on my seatbelts that has a date on it?? Is it only labeled on one seat belt or all of them?

This will make a noticeable improvement Stevie, when Neil gave me an hand starting this at WIM

(then Mark took over and did all the hard work). Admittedly I went with new Mintex Pads all round,

but I am very happy how the car stops, as i think you will be too. Very cost effective mod IMO :)

BTW don't forget to declare it to your insurance company :shutit:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links