Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Replacing Brake Lines

Steviewevie

I just received a set of stainless steel brake lines, that I got off eBay (from here) :

IMG_2516.jpg

These are the "translucent red (NRD)" colour.

I've tried looking in the online workshop manual but can't find a section relating to the brake lines, e.g. how to replace them. I'm not sure if I'm up to doing this or not, can anyone give me any hints etc about how hard this might be ? From other postings it sounds like it might not be too tricky, with it being a matter of putting a finger over the end of the hose to stop losing much brake fluid in the process.

Should I able able to do this myself ? Without having to bleed the brakes afterwards ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, taking the brake fluid cap off and sealing the top fully helps reduce fluid loss (same principle as an upside down milk bottle holding the fluid in).

You will not be able to do it without bleeding the brakes afterwards. What ever happens, you are putting new lines in which are empty of fluid, so you will end up with a big air bubble in each corner that needs removing.

Yeah i thought about doing this myself but decided against it. TGT charged me £130 for fitting the lines and doing a fluid change. Got the change done as the brakes were getting quite spongy - brilliant now. If you do do it yourself then yeah you will need to bleed the brakes - as tiger says you'll need to fill the new brake lines.

my brakes feel spongy as well. got the discs and brake pads checked from kwik fit and they are fine so thinking changing the brake lines when i get the brakepads changed next time.steview let me know if they make a big difference

my brakes feel spongy as well. got the discs and brake pads checked from kwik fit and they are fine so thinking changing the brake lines when i get the brakepads changed next time.steview let me know if they make a big difference
steve and asi i fitted wozza with mark at wim and they do make a big difference

no spongy brakes wozza was over the moon with that mod and we did fit new mintex pads all round as well

well worth doing

all the best neil

Yeah i thought about doing this myself but decided against it. TGT charged me £130 for fitting the lines and doing a fluid change. Got the change done as the brakes were getting quite spongy - brilliant now. If you do do it yourself then yeah you will need to bleed the brakes - as tiger says you'll need to fill the new brake lines.

How much?!!

did that include providing the lines and fluid?

Seriously, get a big bowl under the brakes as you do it and crack on.

Stav

as stav says get it done!!! not that hard at all!!!!

£130 is steep like for whats basically a brake fluid change!! :blink:

if you were closer i'd do it for you for a cup of tea!!has to be tetley though.

seriously it really is easy though!

ok, you've convinced me, I'm going to try doing it myself. That's if someone can explain to me how to do it though. I looked at the online manual, and for bleeding the brakes it describes pressing the brake pedal *whilst* loosening the bleeder plug - which doesn't sound like a one-man job.

Please can someone give me an idiot's guide to bleeding the brakes ?

130!!!! ur having a laugh arn't ya??? i'm sorry but that's silly money for something that took me and a mate an hour tops to do. have a go stevie - if i managed it, you'll be fine mate ;)

ok, you've convinced me, I'm going to try doing it myself. That's if someone can explain to me how to do it though. I looked at the online manual, and for bleeding the brakes it describes pressing the brake pedal *whilst* loosening the bleeder plug - which doesn't sound like a one-man job.

Please can someone give me an idiot's guide to bleeding the brakes ?

Steve have a look for a one man easy bleed kit, i brought one a while back and its really easy to use only cost around £7 from Halfords at the time? and makes it so much easier to do a full brake fluid change or just to bleed them, just make sure your fluid bottle is kept topped up when you do it and you will be fine :)

ok thanks Chris, will do ! :D

Feel a bit nervous about messing with something as important as my brakes, but it does sound like it's pretty straightforward, and it's a great feeling to try something new and do it, so I'll give it a go !

You never know, perhaps I'll end up posting up a walkthrough on changing brake lines ! :winky:

EDIT - Is it something like this that I need ? There seem to be a few brake bleeding products on the Halfords website.

Feel a bit nervous about messing with something as important as my brakes, but it does sound like it's pretty straightforward, and it's a great feeling to try something new and do it, so I'll give it a go !

You never know, perhaps I'll end up posting up a walkthrough on changing brake lines ! :winky:

EDIT - Is it something like this that I need ? There seem to be a few brake bleeding products on the Halfords website.

Yes mate thats the same one i use :D

ahh ormi would you do it for me im cloeser....

ye asi not a problem!!when you thinking of doing it?

thanks ormi about in a months time. going to get ebc red stuff aswell. btw do you need to take the brake pads off to do these if yes then i would buy pads fro the back aswell.

thanks

thanks ormi about in a months time. going to get ebc red stuff aswell. btw do you need to take the brake pads off to do these if yes then i would buy pads fro the back aswell.

thanks

no dude you dont need too remove the pads or the calipers but we might as well do the rest since we have the wheels off.i'll even supply the bleed bottle and the brake fluid!proper toyota stuff too! :winky:

thanks

no dude you dont need too remove the pads or the calipers but we might as well do the rest since we have the wheels off.i'll even supply the bleed bottle and the brake fluid!proper toyota stuff too! :winky:

right cool mate will let ya know when i have the stuff.

A guide with pics is always good mate as I'll be wanting to bleed the brakes etc very soon its on my long list of things to do lol.. I'm also very new to all this ;)

asi if stevie hasn't beaten us too it if you have a camera we could do a pic walk through on how to do it! :winky:

so steview when are you thinking to replace the brake lines

Some time this week if the weather stays ok, and if I get my act together ! :lol:

I've got one of the brake bleeding kits now, so I should be all set.

hope the weather is ok. i would get my brake pads some time next week so would be doing mines in a couple of weeks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links