Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Boot Spoiler Removal.

Andy-R

Just bought a spoiler off eBay but the guy selling it is now saying his workman wont take it off the bootlid because he'll damage it :crybaby: so just wondered if this is possible is it just held on with bolts or is there more to it? the problem is it's in Birmingham and i'm a good 100 miles north of there so I can't just pop around and sort it myself so I need him to take it off otherwise I miss out :crybaby:

It's the same one as on Chris's red Lex.

Soz for nicking your pics matey :D

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...=58498&st=0

Check this thread, seems to be bolted and glued on.

Might be easier to buy the bootlid with the spoiler attached- get the whole lid and spoiler resprayed in your colour (if not the same).

Cheers Kam, just e-mailed him and told him how it's held on but I don't think it'll make any difference I just don't think he fancies taking it off, might just have to fork out the extra for a courier to bring the whole bootlid :sick:

First I thought you were talking about Chris.S's red lex (the raised spoiler)........yep the lip spoiler will be really difficult to remove as it's glued and bolted.......there's a good chance you'll damage the spoiler trying to get it off as well.

Best option as Kam says it to try and swap the bootlid as I don't think removing it will be that easy.

The thing is it's from a breakers so I don't think the bootlids still intact otherwise he would have tried to sell the whole lot.

I took mine off, like others suggested cud be cheaper to buy the whole bootlid an spray. When you take all the sealent off there are 3 or so screw holes as well, which of course are going to need filling in as well... Then you need the whole bootlid spraying :D

It was my spolier in the link lol ;) just looked

The thing is it's from a breakers so I don't think the bootlids still intact otherwise he would have tried to sell the whole lot.

I took mine off, like others suggested cud be cheaper to buy the whole bootlid an spray. When you take all the sealent off there are 3 or so screw holes as well, which of course are going to need filling in as well... Then you need the whole bootlid spraying :D

How hard can it be to take a spoiler off? did you have much trouble with yours Chris I know it's a different type but they must all be glued on the same, if it's bolted on by 3 bolts then it really doesn't need super strong glue aswell surely :unsure: please someone give me some hope :crybaby:

How hard can it be to take a spoiler off? did you have much trouble with yours Chris I know it's a different type but they must all be glued on the same, if it's bolted on by 3 bolts then it really doesn't need super strong glue aswell surely :unsure: please someone give me some hope :crybaby:

It was easy to get off, just unscrewed then just kept hacking away at the sealent lol.. Is yours screwed on? it was the fact it leaves 3 holes they need filling as one is in the middle etc. When getting the glue off you may scratch it also so just take care, although a body shop will sort all that out when they spray it hopefully :D I left my badges off afterwards & sold the original spolier on eBay to pay for my fitting :)

P.S

ahhh I was missing the point your just after the spolier, it would probably only damage the bootlid an you didnt want that anyway so should be fine. Just need to take your time and break the sealent underneath and undo the screws if it has them n I expect it will have some for added safety :)

Yeah matey spoiler only, not bothered about it getting scratched as that can be painted, but the spoilers still on the boot lid in Birmingham and the seller thinks he'll damage it getting it off, trying to sort it out with him even if it means getting the whole boot lid and taking the spoiler off myself but at the mo not very hopefull, I think it'll be pretty straight forward.

Woo-Hoo u got 1 :D

Not yet sweety, the guy thinks he's going to damage it taking it off the bootlid so won't do it which means I eaither have to go to Birmingham and try and get it off myself, he sends the entire bootlid which'll cost a fourtune, or I get my money back and cry for a week and start looking again :crybaby:

Andy,

How much is a new spoiler from Lexus? Have you checked? If you have to get it couriered/drive to Birmingham to pick the lid up, pay to have the spolier removed from the old lid, prep'd, fitted and sprayed to your car it might work out cheaper to get a new one from Lexus?

Just a thought. Also will save you a lot of hassle as well???

Just been on Toyo Diy and the price on there for this spoiler is 561euro's which is about £517.

It's only going to cost me £50 to get it sprayed and fitted, I just need to get it here even if they send the whole bootlid I reckon I could get the spoiler off quite easily, but to be honest matey it's really starting to do my head in now, the guy's still not replied to my e-mails so I don't know if thats a good or bad sign.

You're right mate, the spoiler is expensive!!!

Just called Lexus Leeds, the spolier is £511+VAT and the brakelight for the spoiler is £82+VAT.

However the lip type spoiler (with no brakelight) is £136 (includes the VAT). The spoilers come primered but need to be painted (and fitted).

Cheers for that matey, they are very expensive that's why i'm desperately trying to sort this one, if it can get it here it would of only cost all in fitting, spraying, delivery and the spoiler itself £125, getting really fed up now tho.

Mine was held on by 2 strips of foam tape, and 3 nuts matey, if they undo the nuts from inside the boot lid and gently pull the spoiler up from one end it should peel off, if they have trouble tell them to slide a flat scraper under the spoiler as they lift it to break the seal? :)

Mine was held on by 2 strips of foam tape, and 3 nuts matey, if they undo the nuts from inside the boot lid and gently pull the spoiler up from one end it should peel off, if they have trouble tell them to slide a flat scraper under the spoiler as they lift it to break the seal? :)

Cheers Chris, I e-mailed him yesterday and told him it was held on by 3 bolt's and double sided tape or something similar and if they undid the bolts it should just prise off slowly, but he's not got back to me yet, what I am cocerned about is he's making the whole thing up because he's realised the spoilers worth alot more. Whats annoyed me aswell is why list the spoiler for sale in the 1st place without checking how it comes off.

Cheers Chris, I e-mailed him yesterday and told him it was held on by 3 bolt's and double sided tape or something similar and if they undid the bolts it should just prise off slowly, but he's not got back to me yet, what I am cocerned about is he's making the whole thing up because he's realised the spoilers worth alot more. Whats annoyed me aswell is why list the spoiler for sale in the 1st place without checking how it comes off.

Do you know where abouts in birmingham he is mate?

Does sound like hes having second thoughts, most breakers would of removed it before sale? ;) But the deal has been done so he should come up with the goods in my book :)

Does sound like hes having second thoughts, most breakers would of removed it before sale? ;) But the deal has been done so he should come up with the goods in my book :)

Don't know where he is matey, what i'm concered about is he's had abetter offer and is going to say he's broken it whilst getting it off, if he does that i'm going to ask for photo's of the damage and if he can't prove it then i'll have to report him to e-bay. Maybe he's genuine and i'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I really want this spoiler and i'm not giving up on it that easily.

Don't know where he is matey, what i'm concered about is he's had abetter offer and is going to say he's broken it whilst getting it off, if he does that i'm going to ask for photo's of the damage and if he can't prove it then i'll have to report him to e-bay. Maybe he's genuine and i'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I really want this spoiler and i'm not giving up on it that easily.

If he wasnt too far away mate i'll go over for you and i'll take it off so at least you'll get it then? :)

If he wasnt too far away mate i'll go over for you and i'll take it off so at least you'll get it then? :)

Could always find out matey, tought you lived in Staffs tho? if you could get it for me I would be forever gratefull, that way I could come and get it from you and bring you that exhaust piece at the same time.

Could always find out matey, tought you lived in Staffs tho? if you could get it for me I would be forever gratefull, that way I could come and get it from you and bring you that exhaust piece at the same time.

Try and find out mate and see if he'll let me go and get it? if its not too far away :)

He's just sent me a message saying it won't come off as it's glued on, I think he's had a better offer, he's refunded my money but i'm not letting it go that easy, i've asked for his location (hope it just down the road from yours Chris) to see if it can be collected either the spoiler if it'll come off or the whole bootlid, but not holding my breath I think someone else already has it. :angry:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links