Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Im Haveing Probs With My Lap Top

Lexus2D

Thanx im on AOL but got Firefox & Google Chrome dont use explorer

Iv got AVG 8, Defender,& the stuff that comes with AOL & run some scans & they come back ok

Im crap @ this stuff

Dont rember installing anything & i type into the bar @ the top like u do ?

Try installing either that Spybot I linked to or the Ad Aware software that Steve linked to and when you load them up you should be able to do a full install, does sound like something is hooking into the browser and hijacking your system!

Oh dear, AOL :duh:

Has AOL tried to update itself recently ? I wonder if it's done something and screwed up. But do run a spyware scan if you can get onto those links somehow though.

Might be worth going back to an earlier Restore Point, as Johnboy suggested. Are you on XP ? If so, it's in Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Pick a recent date where things were working ok.

Oh right, it might be something cached at this end - install that first one though as that's the main bit and at least that can kick off a scan, it won't have the latest updates but if it's some old spyware it'll get it anyway :)

Did you try that system restore stuff just thinking that would probably be quicker overall if you could do that as the scan can take a while!

Seen this before - it's a trojan that does it. First thing you should probably do is take a copy of any important files you've not backed up; stick them onto a CD-R or something.

From another computer (ie one that works!) go to here and download the latest version of the program. Save it onto a USB pen-drive or similar. Make sure you download the latest update for it too. Copy these files (ie the mbam-setup.exe and the mbam-rules.exe) onto the hard drive of your own computer.

Reboot the computer into Safe Mode - to do this, shut down, turn it on again and then tap the F8 key every second. Although there is a clear-cut window of about 3 seconds in which you need to do this, it's easy to miss it so the most reliable means is to just keep tap-tap-tapping away on the F8 key from the start. You will get a menu that includes the option Safe Mode. Choose this one and let the system come up - this might take a few minutes longer than normal, and the screen will look a bit different once you're in.

Find where you saved the MalwareBytes install file (mbam-setup.exe). Double click it and let it install. Then double-click and install the update file you also downloaded...

Run the program, chances are it will find a load of stuff. Let it do it's thing and have it remove anything it thinks is dodgy, this will probably include reg keys as well as files.

Don't forget that if the DNS server(s) are down at your isp you can get this exact same thing. Your cache knows the lookups for the sites you have already visited, but not for those you haven't so they don't work. Before getting too concerned about virus's or trojans (AGV is very good and should've picked any dangers up), try rebooting your laptop and your broadband router to see if it all comes back up. Or contact AOL to see if they have problems in your area.

Guest inicol63

Your first port of call is to make sure all your document, photo and anthing else you need is saved to disc.

Then move on to the downloads as other members have mentioned,

But back up your important info first......

Hope your back up and running soon...

My vaio is very easy to put back to factory setting but i don't no what machine your using...

A mate of mine had this recently and he had a Virus/Spyware that had manually set a bad dns server.

If you goto Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections (make sure you are in Classic view in control panel. Can be switched between catagory and classic top left of control panel.) Right click on your Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection depending on what you use and goto properties. Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" highlight it and go to properties. Make sure everything is set to automatic. Hope this solves it.

If not you can set your DNS manually (use instructions above again but change the DNS field to manual) to 208.67.222.222 primary and 208.67.220.220 secondary and this should fix it.

Your first port of call is to make sure all your document, photo and anthing else you need is saved to disc.

Then move on to the downloads as other members have mentioned,

But back up your important info first......

Hope your back up and running soon...

My vaio is very easy to put back to factory setting but i don't no what machine your using...

Mine is also a VAIO

Just tried 2 do a back up & it turned itself off ? then said it wasnt shut down properly & i didnt do anything :unsure:

Did the thing aido sent me & it found 67 probs & mended 65

AVG found nothing ?

Still had the prob so did system restore still was wonky

So have turned it off & on again & up 2 press it seems ok so fingers crossed :winky:

Big THANK YOU 2 every 1 4 all the help

Lets watch this space :blush:

Bin a waste of a day sortin it & iv no patience :tomato:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links