Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What Could They Have Done?

Over 2500 miles ago I had my first service done at 10K at Lexus Twickenham. When i handed the car to them I had an average MPG from new of 39.8 mpg. My highway avg was in the low 50's and my mixed avg was normally 44-45 mpg and my town avg was in the mid to high 30's.

Now after 2500 miles I cannot get more than 39 for highway 36 for mixed and 27 for town driving. I know it has been colder of late but the changes seem excessive. Do they change engine settings on the 10K service or what could they have done.

I was also one to preach about my high mpg figures in the beginning but now I have become one of the low mpg diesel owners. I love the car on the whole but this has caused me concern. It is an 08 plate. When I am on the highway cruising at 75-80 the current mpg gauge used to always sit between 50-60 most of the time and now it just breaks 30.

Maybe one of you guys have had a similar problem, all I know is that this has only effected me after my 10K service.

Your experiences will be welcome. Thank you in advance!!

Over 2500 miles ago I had my first service done at 10K at Lexus Twickenham. When i handed the car to them I had an average MPG from new of 39.8 mpg. My highway avg was in the low 50's and my mixed avg was normally 44-45 mpg and my town avg was in the mid to high 30's.

Now after 2500 miles I cannot get more than 39 for highway 36 for mixed and 27 for town driving. I know it has been colder of late but the changes seem excessive. Do they change engine settings on the 10K service or what could they have done.

I was also one to preach about my high mpg figures in the beginning but now I have become one of the low mpg diesel owners. I love the car on the whole but this has caused me concern. It is an 08 plate. When I am on the highway cruising at 75-80 the current mpg gauge used to always sit between 50-60 most of the time and now it just breaks 30.

Maybe one of you guys have had a similar problem, all I know is that this has only effected me after my 10K service.

The cold weather reduces MPG by quite a lot, more than you could imagine. Longer warm up times, heaters, electric seat warmers, aircon working harder, lights on longer etc. Your mpg figures do seem to have dropped by quite a lot but I'd wait until the weather picks up and make another comparison.

This looks a little suspect - "highway cruising at 75-80 the current mpg gauge used to always sit between 50-60" the mpg values look on the high side.

i also expect that the cold weather that we are having is to blame.the winter this time seems to be much colder than usual,i am about four mpg down at present.check again in about six weeks time and if all is not well contact the dealer.

i also expect that the cold weather that we are having is to blame.the winter this time seems to be much colder than usual,i am about four mpg down at present.check again in about six weeks time and if all is not well contact the dealer.

I asked my Lexus dealer to check my 430 as it dropped from 18ish round town to 14, a drop of around 22%. While they were doing warranty jobs they checked it and said they could not find anything wrong and that everything was set to correct spec. Since then it has mysteriously been returning 17/18 mpg round town again!

A drop of 4-5 on a 220d in the winter, 2-3 on a 250 SE seems about right. If it's more than that and the only other change is the Lexus dealer then it must be particularly as others have also complained.

I also have a Mazda 6MPS. Mazda forum members have complained, particularly in USA, that their cars have come back post service with less performance. The culprit in those cases was a ECU upgrade to conform with emission regulations. Some US members have told their service people to leave the ECU upgrade.

The cold weather reduces MPG by quite a lot, more than you could imagine. Longer warm up times, heaters, electric seat warmers, aircon working harder, lights on longer etc. Your mpg figures do seem to have dropped by quite a lot but I'd wait until the weather picks up and make another comparison.

This looks a little suspect - "highway cruising at 75-80 the current mpg gauge used to always sit between 50-60" the mpg values look on the high side.

Like I said

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=49449&hl=

Are your figures based on what the computer says or actual calculations based on miles covered and gallons added?

I always keep my slips and write down all the figures to compare. The car is usally within 5% either way

I asked my Lexus dealer to check my 430 as it dropped from 18ish round town to 14, a drop of around 22%. While they were doing warranty jobs they checked it and said they could not find anything wrong and that everything was set to correct spec. Since then it has mysteriously been returning 17/18 mpg round town again!

It went in today to have it checked out. All they cliamed to have done is reset the computer. I have a 400 mile trip to do tomorrow so we will see. The fact remains they have done something when the service was done.

• 2 weeks later...

It went in today to have it checked out. All they cliamed to have done is reset the computer. I have a 400 mile trip to do tomorrow so we will see. The fact remains they have done something when the service was done.

Just thought I would report back. When my car was returned to me I went on a trip up to Liverpool 200 miles away from me. When I got there my new avg was 34.8 mp. I was rather pi**ed off as this was way worse than anything I had had before. I called the dealership from there and rebooked it in. On the way back though it did climb to just under 40 mpg but still way lower than before. Over the next week or so it did seem to get better but I thought I would send it in anyway.

That was Monday. I collected it this morning and they claim to have changed the oil from a 40w to a 30w. I wonder what effect this could have. Only time will tell I suppose.

gti1 - it sounds to me like your mpg readings before the service were awry. i've always had an average of about 38 -39 mpg with mixed driving, reaching a max of 41 on the m-way and down to 35 in the town.

when you read the long-term test reports in autocar etc on diesel cars, in practice most are getting in the high 30s and 40s on average. in fact, the new Accord diesel will only get in the low 40s in mixed driving.

my advice: try not to stress too much!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links