Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hello, first post!

Possibly interested in a GS300 SEL up at the local Lexus dealer. It is up at just under £16k for a late 2005, just under 40k miles. Had a quick look at the outside and noticed all 4 alloys have been kerbed.

Would you expect the dealer to have fixed this before putting it up for sale, would you expect the dealer to fix the wheels before you took delivery (bearing in mind any money you negotiated off had nothing to do with the wheels i.e. dealer pickes up 100% of repair bill) or would you say "hey, 3 year old car, what do you expect with alloys".

I just feel that if I was trading in a car with kerbed alloys, the dealer would knock money off.

Also, is this a good price for this model/age? It has nav, and special alloys (extra cost I believe).

Thanks.

Welcome to the site :)

If it's a Lexus dealer you should definitely be pushing them to refurbish the alloys if they're seeling it as an Approved car!

What are the special alloys you mention though? Did they already offer you an upgraded set?

Hello, first post!

Possibly interested in a GS300 SEL up at the local Lexus dealer. It is up at just under £16k for a late 2005, just under 40k miles. Had a quick look at the outside and noticed all 4 alloys have been kerbed.

Would you expect the dealer to have fixed this before putting it up for sale, would you expect the dealer to fix the wheels before you took delivery (bearing in mind any money you negotiated off had nothing to do with the wheels i.e. dealer pickes up 100% of repair bill) or would you say "hey, 3 year old car, what do you expect with alloys".

I just feel that if I was trading in a car with kerbed alloys, the dealer would knock money off.

Also, is this a good price for this model/age? It has nav, and special alloys (extra cost I believe).

Thanks.

When I got my 2 year old GS450h from Lexus Coventry they said they would refurb the curbed alloys before I picked it up. They didn't have time as I wanted to pick up in a few days. So what did they do? Put a brand new set on!!! I was made up.

Go for new ones!!!

Malc

PS Offer them £13,500

Thanks for the replies. I'm suprised the dealer thinks someone would buy a car with all 4 wheels like that, but on the other hand maybe they are going to refurb at no cost just as soon as someone says they will have the car - no point refurbing only for someone on a test drive to then kerb them again so I'll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt!

The dealer also has a 2006 IS250 SEL auto for the same cost. Not sure which is the better car - the GS or the IS. Not a huge amount of difference in age with GS being only 6 months older but 20k more on the clock.

Anyone know what Norwich Lexus is like?

Thanks for the replies. I'm suprised the dealer thinks someone would buy a car with all 4 wheels like that, but on the other hand maybe they are going to refurb at no cost just as soon as someone says they will have the car - no point refurbing only for someone on a test drive to then kerb them again so I'll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt!

The dealer also has a 2006 IS250 SEL auto for the same cost. Not sure which is the better car - the GS or the IS. Not a huge amount of difference in age with GS being only 6 months older but 20k more on the clock.

Hi.

I was looking at both the IS and GS but chose the GS and picked it up last Friday!

What swayed it for me were a few things.

When you sit in the IS look at the back seats, not much room. Take a look in the boot, not, in my opinion, enough space for luggage for two. These two points may not be a concern to you, however, drive both cars and you will find that another difference will become apparent. The GS is a great car to drive, I'm not saying that the IS is a bad car, far from it, it's fantastic, it's just different. I preferred the GS and I think part of this was due to the engine. The 3ltr with 6 speed auto box is amazing, effortless, quiet & sophisticated, I fell for it straight away. Also the GS is a rare sight on our roads, people do look and admire, and you will feel great driving it.

I chose silver with Ivory leather. The coupe like profile is something to behold, simply beautiful. Or you could buy an IS.........

:D

I was looking at both the IS and GS but chose the GS and picked it up last Friday!

I chose silver with Ivory leather. The coupe like profile is something to behold, simply beautiful. Or you could buy an IS.........

I prefer the MK3 GS over the MK2 IS as well, I'll be sure to keep an eye out next time I'm in the Sheffield area :)

I prefer the MK3 GS over the MK2 IS as well, I'll be sure to keep an eye out next time I'm in the Sheffield area :)

I'll be in a Mk3 GS wearing a stupid grin!

Is it proper to wave at fellow Lexus drivers? If I spot another GS driver do I wave, nod or hoot?! ^_^

I'll be in a Mk3 GS wearing a stupid grin!

Is it proper to wave at fellow Lexus drivers? If I spot another GS driver do I wave, nod or hoot?! ^_^

:lol:

Have to admit I never do - I do get tunnel vision though when I drive so I never notice anyone - usually only realise when I see something already gone past and in one of the mirrors!

Why compromise? Go for the GS :driving:

Malc

Interesting. So would anyone say the GS is better built/quality than the new IS? On the one hand the IS is a newer designed model (I think, might be wrong!) so possibly the quality is better. On the other hand sometimes when you pay a bit more for something you get better materials and time-tested equipment that acutaly works and lasts a long time.

My concern is that a GS would cost more to run - not so worried about fuel, but rather tyres, servicing. But then when you own a Lexus are these costs fairly level across the model range?

Thanks for the replies and help though so far!

Interesting. So would anyone say the GS is better built/quality than the new IS? On the one hand the IS is a newer designed model (I think, might be wrong!) so possibly the quality is better. On the other hand sometimes when you pay a bit more for something you get better materials and time-tested equipment that acutaly works and lasts a long time.

My concern is that a GS would cost more to run - not so worried about fuel, but rather tyres, servicing. But then when you own a Lexus are these costs fairly level across the model range?

Thanks for the replies and help though so far!

Ignore me :whistling: I have a GS and think it's the best thing since sliced bread but then I'm a sucker for Hybrid technology. I can't really make a valued judgement never having owned an IS.

Malc

I'm a bit late to this thread but thought I would chip in.

Lexus GB have stringent requirements for any used Lexus sold by a dealership, including workshop servicing, stone chips (bit of an issue on the Mk3 GS front apron), tyre condition, mats and alloys.

The big problem is that if the car is not sold in 30 - 40 days it will go out to the trade. The dealer will not see anything back for money spent on the car. This is why it is usually done when a deal has been struck.

Re the IS vs GS issue, I think the big difference in the ride quality. The GS is a magic carpet simply because of its wider track

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links