Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Timing Belts, Which One To Get?

As I'll be putting the car on the road at the start of march it'll need a major service which will involve getting the belts changed but I'm not sure which ones to go for. I've had quotes from Lexus bolton for their belt kit but their kit doesnt include the idler pulley which they said they never change so its personal preference if u wanna change that. Have also had quotes from Andrew page, they said that it would be a Blueprint/ADL part, but I didnt ask them about gates stuff. Apart from all that I've had a look around for the gates belt kit too which as far as I'm aware contains the idler pulley as well.

So,

Q1. If you've changed your belts then have you changed the pulley as well?

Q2. Should I get the pulley changed as well or get a kit with the pulley with it?

Q3. Most of the quotes I've had are of similar prices but lexus said that the kit they provide is their own make and not gates, (I assumed it may be gates like other car companies provide) and when I rang up andrew page and they told me it would be a blueprint kit, even tho blueprint stuff is decent quality I dont really know what blueprint belt kits are like or dont really fancy putting that kit in tbh so what make should I go for?

One last question, how much roughly would I expect labour to cost for a belt change and how long does it take?

Thanks

what sorta prices did you find for the gates belts compared to oem ones mate? so what do people recommend? should I just go direct to lexus or go for blueprint or gates? As for labour, my mechanic will be able to sort the fitting out at a decent rate. I paid £60 labour to get the timing belt changed on my civic ;)

I'd get the Lexus belt mate, it's good for 60k miles / 6 years and the engine bay of an IS isn't going to get hot enough to warrant the Gates belt - they were about £90 where I was looking yesterday but they were for the 2JZ-GTE instead.

£90?!!! is that just for the timing belt or for the kit? I've been told i'm looking at about £30 for just the belt from lexus lol

That's just for the belt mate! It's £81.50 including tax to be precise but like I say it's a 2JZ belt that one, not sure they even do one for the IS. That was from Whifbitz but they don't list one for the 1G.

Best bet mate is give the lads at Charlesworth Motors a bell and ask for a price as they're near you just over Glossop way and they'll do one of the best prices you'll find but at the same time they've also worked on loads, and I mean loads, of IS200s!

cool mate, I'll look into getting in touch with them and see what kinda advice they can give me. by any chance have u got a contact number for them?

also, gates do do a kit for the IS200 or all bits seperatly, its just a matter of finding them lol

for example just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-2-0-TIMI...A1%7C240%3A1318

Was looking on the Gates Racing website but I've just tried the normal Gates website and they don't even list a belt for the Toyota Crown which had the 1G-FE from 91 to 95 yet in that pic it says Toyota Crown so not sure if they're discontinued or even fakes?

Ignore that, it was the blooming international website not listing all the cars - tried just the UK site and got the following for the IS200:

gatesfu4.jpg

It was the Gates Racing belt that was the expensive one, different range to these ones :)

Might be worth ordering that lot and then asking how much to fit it all at Charlesworth!

I've been thinking about this and it's only the racing ones I'd bother with - the standard one is good for 60k / 6 years and you should be replacing around then all the time anyway so might as well ring Charlesworth and ask them first thing - if they say they'll get it from Lexus just do that mate :)

The standard Gates stuff is just like Blueprint - it's the highly modified cars which upgrade to Gates Racing / HKS / Power Enterprise belts and in that sector Gates don't even bother offering products for the 1G-FE!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links