Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Really Annoying Squeak......

Hi all,

Well - as the better weather is now coming, although we have full air con/climate control etc, I still like to drive with the window down.

So I did.

And there is a REALLY annoying squeak that I can only hear when the window is down. It's very high pitched, and I dont think I can work out a rule for it (i.e only does it under breaking, or only does it over a certain speed etc.). I've tried, but as soon as I think of one it contradicts it!! Problem is I can't also tell whether it's due to the window being down that it happens, or whether it's just that I can only hear it when the window's down. It COULD be suspension/geometry related I guess, but I really dont know because it's only a squeak. It seems to be coming from front right though.

I realise that's all very vague, but that's because I really dont know what it is. Would anybody have ANY ideas at all as to what it is !?!?

Thanks very much

Tony

oh, i forgot to mention.

see this thread http://lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.p...ST&f=50&t=5311&

i have an issue with gearbox input bearing or clutch release bearing (dont know what). Could it be that?

i only recognise that at standstill in neutral with clutch up, but this sqeuak (posted about today) is when driving along and car is in gear. Though I guess that shouldn't stop the gearbox input bearing/clutch release bearing having problems even while driving. Could that be it???????

Thanks again for any help

Tony

(yup - it's me replying to my own post again !)

......car's booked in to Lexus Canterbury on Friday for them to look at it all. If the problem is only the gearbox input shaft or clutch release bearing, it will take 2 days (!) to sort - so I'll have to go back (ANOTHER 45minute journey). Anyhow......let's hope it will be fixed.

For anyone who can help......should I expect a courtesy car for these two days that it's out of action ?

Thanks

Tony

And there is a REALLY annoying squeak that I can only hear when the window is down.

I know exactly what you mean Tony. When the window is down I can sometimes hear a very annoying squeaking/rubbing noise coming from outside the car. Despite coming up with a number of hypotheses about this, every one seems to get disproved - irritating!

It seems to have gone away at the mo... but maybe coz the windows are shut coz it's raining!!! it's particularly noticable when going between 30 and 40 mph....

Puzzled.... :blink:

Yup - that will be the one !!

Do you also have the issue with the car in neutral and idleing with the clutch up? I ask cos I am thinking it may be the same sqeuak!

I'm taking it to Lexus on Friday for them to investigate and will let you know the outcome.

I was trying to create a rule over the weekend - and you say 30-40mph, I was on similar speeds (maybe 40-50mph) and so really do think it's the same problem!

Will let you know.....

Tony

Actually I've never noticed it when the car is idling.

It's easy to hear when driving down a narrow lane or through a tunnel - ie. anywhere with close high sides. Seems to magnify it.

I bet, that when you get to Lexus it will stop doing it!!! :lol:

Until you drive out of the garage again......!! :lol: :D

Does it happen when the engine is under heavy load...i.e, when you put your foot down on the gas?? You say it doesnt happen in idle, so it could be something to do with the air intake / induction system. Try putting your foot down to the floor around the 30mph mark in third gear, see if you can notice any decrease or a slight stutter in the engine as the car accelerates....it may only be very slight though!

Cheers - Neil

You say it doesnt happen in idle, so it could be something to do with the air intake / induction system.

I think we're talking about two different sqeuaks here -

what i beleive to be the clutch release bearing DOES squeak in neutral at idle.

as for the OTHER squeak, that's the one with the window down. From memory it does slightly (SLIGHTLY) stutter under heavy load. Do you have an idea as to what it could be then ?

Thanks for the comments/input guys

Tony

Tony, as I said before mate....defo worth checking out the air intake / induction system for the second squeak your hearing!

Also pop the hood and rev the engine, get your ear as close as you can (without burning it) and have a listen around the air intake / induction system....give it some welly....listen for any strange noises!

Cheers - Neil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links