Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mainbeam Bulbs.

wildybeast

I was always told never to use HID's as Main Beams, becuase they take too long to start up,

so not ideally suited for the purpose, plus I also read in the HID's instructions that they are

not suited to being switched on and off rapidly, as it will damage the longevity of the bulbs.

I was quite happy going along with this, until one day I was fitting a set to another members car, whilst it was

parked closely behind another car on the street. When fitted and testing them, for some reason we switched on

the main beam for comparison, (when the dipped beams were on) and it was then I discovered that when you

switch on main beam on the IS200, the dipped beam also activates at the same time.

This meant no matter how often the main beam was switched on, the dipped was being flashed too.

This is not ideally suited to the HID's as per the instruction manual. So I then came to the conclusion that it

would do the main beam no more damage than it was doing to the dipped already !! Also I noticed when you

fire up the HID's (I have already fitted), they actually flash quite brightly before dimming, and then slowy

increasing up to full brightness.

I bought a cheap kit from china for £35 and fitted them, and I am quite happy with them. In fact more

than happy when driving through the lanes at night :D :D :D

They must work well enough for other drivers as when I flash them, they seem to know I am letting them out.

Up to you if you want to try this, if not the Osram Silverstars are the best 'normal' Halogen bulbs I have ever used.

when you switch on main beam on the IS200, the dipped beam also activates at the same time.

This meant no matter how often the main beam was switched on, the dipped was being flashed too.

Sorry don't understand this, is the dipped beam flashing with the main beam when both were originally off?

But yeah for £35 it doesn't really matter, but I do find for a quick flash HIDs don't really come on quick enough so you'd have to get into the habit of holding the stalk a bit longer..............

I've got PIAA bulbs (can't remember which ones) but they're not quite the right colour for my 8K HIDs, but should be a decent match for the 6K HIDs - plus the bulb is blue so has quite a cool reflection in the headlight when off :)

It's something to do with the road traffic act on aftermarket HID's. When the main beam is flashed, regardless of whether lights are on or off, the dipped beam will also come on for the same duration as the headlamp flash. I've no idea why but if you fit aftermarket HID's then the dipped will also flash. When I put the HIDs on my IS I thought I'd wired them up wrong but it's just the way they are. I've no idea why it's the way it is, but c'est la vie.

I agree with Wozza that HIDs are not a great idea for main beam due to the time they take to heat up, BUT as he says, if the dipped HIDs are coming on anyway regardless of what bulbs you have in main, why not have them as main? I can't see a good reason not to.

lol.ive got brain freeze.i think without looking.when you use the flash all 4 lights come on.when you turn the dip beam on and then use flash only the main beam will flash because the dip beam is already on.i recon the dip beam bulb is a single filliment so in theory it cant flash if it is already on.maybe possibly might do.

lol.ive got brain freeze.i think without looking.when you use the flash all 4 lights come on.when you turn the dip beam on and then use flash only the main beam will flash because the dip beam is already on.i recon the dip beam bulb is a single filliment so in theory it cant flash if it is already on.maybe possibly might do.

Think your right there matey, i'v got HID as dipped lights and gonna get a set for full beam.

Weather they take a few secs to warm up to their full brightness, the dipped beam is still pleanty to drive by till this happends.

just a thought.for the main beam hids what about having the bixeon bulbs.they come on with the dip beam and to make them dip there is a magnet of some sort which pushes and retracts the bulb which alters the beam level (high or low).dont know if you will blind people but maybe worth looking into.cheers

If you have HIDs as dipped beam and halogen as main beam, when you flash, all four lights will come on for the duration of the flash.

The same is true if you have HIDs as main beam and dipped beam.

If you do not fit HIDs, then the dipped beam will not come on with a headlamp flash.

No idea why :unsure:

If you do not fit HIDs, then the dipped beam will not come on with a headlamp flash.

No idea why :unsure:

Are you sure ? Can anyone with standard headlamp bulbs please confirm this ?

Can't see the car knowing you have changed to HID's as the cars original wiring

is used as a trigger for the HID Ballasts anyway.

Just checked this and they do come on together, and nothing to do with the HIDs as my car's on standard halogens at the mo. Can't believe I've never noticed it before :blink:

Also noticed how white the PIAA bulbs are compared to the halogens so they would be a good match for 6K HIDs if you decide to go the non HID route.........

After you fit HID to the dips, your never happy with halogen main beams... i tried a few uprated sets but none impressed, so i put in a 50w hid in the main beams and i'm "lov'in it" :D

as been said already don't worry about about heat up times as the dips provide plently of light already ;)

I'm thinking along the same route, since fitting 6k Xenons the main beam is dull! I'm gonna give it a go and for £35 you can't really go wrong! Do you have a link Wozza to the ones from China?

Has anyone done their fogs??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links