Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Nuisance Calls

WylieCoyote

We keep having these phonecalls where the phone rings, you answer it and then you get some American voice answerphone saying 'Congratulations, you have been personally selected....... etc'. I know that if you ring the number it gives you back you get charged some hideous amount of money, but does anyone know where these things come from and if there's any way to stop them? We're registered with the telephone preference service but we seem to be getting more of them these days.

Anyone had/having similar experiences?

Thanks.

Keith :)

TPS sorts out all the UK call Centers as its illegal for a call centre to not check the TPS list before calling.

TPS is the Telephone Preference Service... sign up to it and 30 days later all marketing calls will stop.

But foreign onces wont be blocked though.

Ah, didn't think of that. Thanks. :)

edit - just tried - withheld number on 1471

And that call to 1471 cost you 60p aswell :whistling:

It certainly shouldn't...

BTW - there are no numbers in the UK that cost more than £1.50/min to dial, so any emails etc warning you of dire call charges of £20 a minute or whatever are just a load of rubbish. Unless you're dialling internationally (number starts with 00 and will be unusually long), where the call charges can ramp up a bit more, then you really won't get scammed for the fortune the emails would have you believe.

Still flippin' annoying though.

I have my line set up with BT to reject anonymous callers. It kicks *****, my phone never rings with marketing calls!!!

I did it a while ago because we got some nuisance calls and I forgot to turn it off, but it's doing a good job actually so I'll leave it on.

Just try it for a few months if it's one place constantly hassling you, eventually it should stop them and you could turn it back off again.

all marketing calls will stop

Not entirely true, but it does stop the large majority. I have been registered for a number of years with TPS ans still get an odd marketing call I just respond saying I have passed your name, number and company name to the police once I have got the details ... it normally stops them ringing a second time.

International calls can't be stopped yet, but beware of the ones that say you have one something press "1" to see what you have won as by pressing one and it being an internatanional you get charged an extorniate amount ( usually between £20 and £250 ). This has been on Watchdog.

By rejecting anonymous callers you may be rejecting your son / daughter / etc calling from a phone to speak to you. This could be an office, phone box, somebody elses mobile etc. Do this only if you understand the possible implications.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links