Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake Warning Light - Not Bulbs....

Manc

Hi all,

Got another problem with my K reg LS400. I love the car, but a growing joblist and the threat of rising fuel again is giving me second thoughts on this engineering masterpiece of a car.

For the past couple of days the brake warning light keeps coming on for a few seconds. Usaually when i brake harder than normal, ut occasionaly just when im driving.

The handbrake isnt on, the resovoir is full and i have checked both lights (although this was when the light was not on) on a couple of occasions since.

I have done a couple of testing emergency stops to check and they do stop me although i didnt notice the ABS biting.

This scared me a bit as such a heavy car will need abs in a real emergency stop.

Any ideas or knowledge anyone?

I think the brakes and suspension could do with an overhaul as it knocks a bit turning at low speeds too and it is 16 years old, but what is the approx cost of this - and does anyone fancy the job?

The list includes:-

Knocking front end when turning/braking (low speeds only)

Brake warning light

Engine warning light (forgot the 2 or 3 codes but all something to do with air) - Drives fine still????

Gear oil change (some mechanic put the cheap stuff in)

P/S leak (I changed the o-ring, but still leaking, looks like its not under the resovoir after wiping clean after 1st job)

Exhaust blowing both sides at join after both cats (is there a gasket here or is gunking needed now)

Bonnet struts re-gassed or replaced

Faulty locking on n/s/f door

Boot wont open with key (can barrel be cleaned/serviced)

Faulty front window switches (annoying more than anything)

Aerial broken

Dash - 3 caps need replacing

The bottom half of the list i can do but need advice on the exhaust, p/s leak, gear oil, both warning lights and knocking....please help as the engine is just too good (even at 230k), so i cannot bear to be the one to send such a car to the scrapheap :unsure:

Hi,

Have you checked the front pads for excessive wear as they have sensors on them and this could be the cause.

If you leave it too long the sensors are damaged due to contact with the disc and at £47.00 each dealer only they hurt!

Another possible cause is the boot hinge wiring loom that has broken/intermittant wiring inside due to opening and closing the boot and this causes many symptoms including yours.

Clunks at the front end are normally upper control arms/ball joints ( there were some cheap on eBay may be worth a look) and then lower ball joints and also anti roll bar bushes ( these 2 are cheaper parts wise).

For the fault codes ( air) the karmen vortex airflow meter is a known problem but you may be able to source secondhand.

Power steering leak you can get a service kit from Toyota including all gaskets/seals or again source a rebuilt pump ( also check pipes ) if you look at www.lexls.com there is a tutorial on this.

I also had faulty locking on my FNS door and it was the motor in the door lock mech.

It sound a lot of work but once done you will have a good reliable Lexus.

Boot lid lock , try a squirt of WD40 into the key hole first, or remove it to clean, only two bolts.

There is a gasket after the cat, part # 90912-06062

New whip available for aerial, no need to replace the motor etc.

Brake light check pads and pad wear wires for bad connections.

If you are happy to check your pads manually,just join any broken warning wire [to complete the circuit]

this will put out the pad wear warning light.

Sometimes there is a knock from the front brakes when the pads

move forward when going from reverse to forward, this is not a fault.

Thanks Roy & steve. Good tips

I think i mislead you with the brake warning light, its not the pad one (altought that is on too and is a worn sensor), - its the other one on the rev counter side - the exclamation mark in the cirlce. It says in the book a lights out or the handbrake is left on - neither in my case.

Any more news on the p/s if i replaced the o-ring and its still leaking? Please god not the pump.........£££££

• 3 weeks later...

Hey steve - thanks again for the time, lots of info

P/s leak is a pipe - well the end of it needs crimping. Have to find a local hydraulic co. to sort it

I gotta stop being a tight arse and get the motor into a garage for the warning lights, and i was gonna fix my dash myself (bought a soldering iron and everything...) but advised to be knowledgeable 1st, so trying to find chris vince's link i saw ages ago

I prob post a note soon to let you all know what the brake and engine lights were telling me

Joy of Joys - Things are on the up

I fixed the p/s leak for the price of a few jubilee clips :hocus-pokus:

It was where the cooler pipe joins the rubber hose under the fan as you open the bonnet. Headlight out an'all so i could access the hose to replace it but on doing that i saw the hose and the pipe were fine, so a trip to the shops and £5 later i was smiling again.

Had the engine cleaned too to help me find the leak so its looking good under the hood - for a nice change. Its not dripped now for 2 days.

Bought pads all round, to d.i.y of course, but had trouble getting the nut off so gonna get the caliper kit and pins and get the whole system refreshed at the garage

Dash sent off to chris vince yesterday,

Bought aerial and new wipers to help keep my sanity - can't handle any more crackles and squeeks

Just got to fix window switches then find where water gets in - and where it actually is 'cos i know its damp in the car cos windows steam up for nothing but i cant find a wet spot unless it lashes it down for days - and then it depends on how im parked?????????

Then im sure next m.o.t. (april) will bring the curse of new bushes somewhere, but then, maybe just then, its back to a top motor again and i can keep it for years and start saving up for the 600 :wub:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links