Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I have spent the last couple of days trying to cure my fluctuating idle problem. I have:

Changed spark plugs

Cleaned out throttle body

Cleaned MAF

Cleaned ICV

and generally cleaning out any other plugs/sensors I could see with electrical contact spray.

Now the car doesnt always fluctuate on idle, however still idles high in N & P and dips down to 1100 RPM in D.

It has also developed a misfire that didnt seem to be there before and sometimes when in Drive if you put your foot on the gas the revs drop right down, splutters and coughs and sometimes dies.

If anyone has any ideas please, please advise me!!!!

The ls 400 is prone to throttle position sensor failure and inconsistant idle and poor running are just a couple of problems associated with the tps. try changing that and see how it is then.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I will change it and see what happens.

Can I use the TPS from a V8 Soarer or any LS400 from 90 -93 do you know?

Generally the part number is stamped on all Lexus/Toyota parts ( space permitting ) so check the p/n on the Soarer to confirm as it is the same engine it should in theory be the same.

Regarding the misfire did you also change the spark plug leads when you did the plugs as the originals may have been damaged on removal.

Are you sure its not an air leak?

Yeah Im pretty sure its not an air leak, I had all the pipes out and checked for cracks etc and made sure they are all secured properly. Im also getting alot of white smoke from start up which clears when warm which is pointing me towards the classic power steering issue.

TPI sensor part # 89452-12050 ..05/89--08/92

Re the white smoke, apparently there is a valve underneath the PS pump that leaks.

Believe this can be replaced from underneath, haven't done this job, someone will know more!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links