Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

This is a quote from a letter sent to me by Lexus offering a substantial discount off a new car

'The demand for approved pre-owned Lexus IS models is at an unprecedented level and our stocks are low enabling us to offer very attractive part exchange prices. There really is unlikely to be a more financially advantageous time to change your car'

So I ring the dealer and ask them about part ex on my approved pre-owned Lexus that I possess and purchased from them last year. Salesman says words to the effect of:

'mmmm.... due to the current financial err climate/ situation etc your current car would have depreciated quite badly from what you paid for it'.

I see: The 'very attractive part exchange price..'is very attractive to YOU not ME the customer

got it

:duh:

(i Know the part ex situation but hey, this letter is just a damm lie isnt it)

PS he hasnt rang back, that was 2 hours ago,clearly not interested despite demand for pre-approved being at an unprecedented level!!!

Go back to my comments about salesmen from Philthy's thread...

What the numpty salesman doesn't comprehend is that they are more likely to be able to sell your cheaper PEX than their nearly new/new car...which "under the current climate has depreciated even more" - may be he knows it and is treating you like a mug, which is more likely!

It all comes down to cost to change...as we ALL know and so does he...

This is why I hate dealing with Salesman and dealers - they know what they can afford to sell the car for, so why do they try and charge you more? There is a question about "honesty" if you think about it...

in a nutshell,never trust a salesman.at the end of the day he has he's own interests at heart,and will do/say what he can to get a sale,harsh,but true.

i imagine the px prices have fallen,but the screen price will have stayed the same,crafty,if the pre owned stocks are low then it cant be all bad,yet they use the excuses,when offering px prices.

PX prices have fallen - but the discounts on offer have increased. At the end of the day it's the cost to change and the point at which both parties are happy to sign on the dotted line that counts.

I find dealing with car salesmen quite simple - you tell them how much you want for your car and what you're prepared to pay for theirs and they either say yes or no. If they say no you walk away - if they are keen to do a deal they will recontact you and make a counter offer. It's just business and there's no point in getting emotional about it, no good salesman is going to show his best hand straight off.

I agree, its always going to be the cost of/to change which will make (or break) any deal. It is pointless to work on values independently as the Dealer will load the values in their favour at either or both ends.

I hate Dealers treating customers like idiots (IE: who know nothing about well...nothing).

The letter is an example of this thinking.

sales for landrover must be very slow because a friend of mine got a call from a salesman asking if he was still interested in buying one,his enquiry was five years ago.

ive spoken to the dealer, the part ex they have offered is close to the book price (which is low),swings and roundabouts i suppose

sales for landrover must be very slow because a friend of mine got a call from a salesman asking if he was still interested in buying one,his enquiry was five years ago.

ive spoken to the dealer, the part ex they have offered is close to the book price (which is low),swings and roundabouts i suppose

Doog, the thing is that nearly new cars are NOT selling anywhere near the book price, in fact if at all. A certain 530i I saw in July is now for sale in a different BMW garage - so they are just passing stock around!

With hat is about to happen with RFL, no one wants a 4x4. I saw a Q7 3.0TDi S Line for sale at less than £28K - that's for a 1 year old car having covered 4000 miles. Boy was I tempted. But it was like driving a barge down the Old Kent Road...

Hang in - name your price and wait...

Doog, the thing is that nearly new cars are NOT selling anywhere near the book price, in fact if at all. A certain 530i I saw in July is now for sale in a different BMW garage - so they are just passing stock around!

With hat is about to happen with RFL, no one wants a 4x4. I saw a Q7 3.0TDi S Line for sale at less than £28K - that's for a 1 year old car having covered 4000 miles. Boy was I tempted. But it was like driving a barge down the Old Kent Road...

Hang in - name your price and wait...

Ive named a price to a particular dealer for a 250. They are doing 4k off the list price but need to move on the part ex offered. Another dealer has offered the 4K off plus the 'book price' on the part ex. As we know the book price is poor.This 4k off business is down to Lexus GB so im hoping the dealers will still have plenty to play with. (They say the 4k is to compensate for the poor part ex values)

....which is nonsense really as you know....

I'd hang in there for a tad longer, and may be try a few other dealers whilst waiting. Try some of the non-franchised ones who are desperate. Or sling your car on Auto trader in the meantime - you never know, you could afford to let it go for a £few00 less than book PEX and then be in a better position to try any dealer in the UK - they all normally include free UK delivery so you can't loose...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links