Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Problem With Startup

wegiel

Hi,

I've been owning the car for a week and I've had problems with startup 2 or 3 times.

However the engine starts after second attempt.

I think the spark plugs and ignition wires are ok as the car runs smoothly and without any problems.

Is it a problem of starter motor?

The previous owner installed BRC Sequent 56 for propane-butane fuel. Can it be the root of the problem?

TIA

LPG converted cars need special set up, it should start on petrol and only change to gas when operating temp. is reached so it is unlikely to be the problem.

The BRC system is a good one so as long as it is serviced and set up correctly it won't cause you problems. You have to have the best spark plugs in perfect condition for any car to run on LPG with the gap set at 0.9mm - 1mm MAX, all HT leads etc. must be in perfect condition as the system will draw slightly higher power from the coils due to the lower gap.

The IS needs valve seat wear protection, so if your valves have been damaged by not having the protection that could be the problem, look under your bonnet for a bottle of flashlube or similar?????

My advice is to check sparks, leads and starter motor then if you can't find a clear fault take it to an installer of BRC equipment, don't let "just anybody" service a LPG car. I have had an LPG car before and it gave nothing but hassle until it went to a competent fitter, who plugged it in to his laptop and solved all the problems.

The problem I described concerned normal petrol startup.

This is my first car with LPG installation so I'll ask a few questions.

How should it be started - petrol mode and then switch to LPG or the switch can be set to LPG when starting the engine?

Are there any concerns when running the car on LPG when the temp. of cooling liquid is below 90C?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links