Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What On Earth Is This

coolrides

I'd love to give you a technical answer to this with the exact length and width of bolt you need but TBH all I did was nip down homebase and buy a bag of nuts and bolts that looked right with some washers. As long as the washers are wide enough and the bolt is tight enough it'll be fine. :) AFAIK the hole you want to use behind the bumper is not threaded so you'd have to use a bolt + washers anyway.

Ah, ok thanks. That sounds a bit easier then if the hole isn't threaded, i.e. you don't need an exact fit. Will have to check that out soon ! :D

just thought Steve, when you fit the horns behind the crashbar bend them up a little on the bracket or they will sound crap :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just having a look at where the horns are currently mounted, and where they could go. I can see the holes in the crash bar (there seem to be several of them), but I think I might be missing something. If I'm going to use a nut and bolt to fix the horns to the crash bar, how do I get to the other side of it ? Whilst the rear is accessible, the front is covered over by the bumper etc, but earlier responses said there was no need to take that off ? Which is why I think I must be missing something ... :unsure: :iraqi-info-minister:

I was just having a look at where the horns are currently mounted, and where they could go. I can see the holes in the crash bar (there seem to be several of them), but I think I might be missing something. If I'm going to use a nut and bolt to fix the horns to the crash bar, how do I get to the other side of it ? Whilst the rear is accessible, the front is covered over by the bumper etc, but earlier responses said there was no need to take that off ? Which is why I think I must be missing something ... :unsure: :iraqi-info-minister:

Steve you dont need to take the bumper off mate, just remove the grill to give you access to the horns! The holes that are in the crash bar are filled by a bolloff ( threaded insert) the Bolloff has a bit of thread right at the end that you can't see so its just a case of finding a couple of bolts that take a bite of that thread then wind them in to cut the rest of the thread as there only soft metal!

If you stick the horns on with sticky pads they wont earth out to the body and wont work?

I'll pop out mate and try and get a pic of mine for you, and see if i can see the numbers on top of the bolts i used to give you an idea on the size you need :)

Steve you dont need to take the bumper off mate, just remove the grill to give you access to the horns! The holes that are in the crash bar are filled by a bolloff ( threaded insert) the Bolloff has a bit of thread right at the end that you can't see so its just a case of finding a couple of bolts that take a bite of that thread then wind them in to cut the rest of the thread as there only soft metal!

Ah ok, brilliant thanks. That makes sense. I was confused earlier by references to nuts and the holes not having a thread. If there's a threaded insert in there somewhere then I see how it would work with a bolt. I'll check through my collection of bolts to see if I've got a variety, if not I'll probably see if I can buy some sort of assorted pack.

Ah ok, brilliant thanks. That makes sense. I was confused earlier by references to nuts and the holes not having a thread. If there's a threaded insert in there somewhere then I see how it would work with a bolt. I'll check through my collection of bolts to see if I've got a variety, if not I'll probably see if I can buy some sort of assorted pack.

When you fit them Steve, bend them up a little away from the crash bar or they will sound terrible, You'll hear what i mean if you try them before you bend them up :)

I finally got around to doing this, incredibly easy even for a numpty like me, and very pleased with the end result :

IMG_2305.jpg

I see what you mean about bending the horns up Chris. I was expecting that they'd just sound quiet, but they don't do they, they make a horrible/amusing sort of farting noise if you don't ! :lol:

Thanks to all for their suggestions on doing this. I've posted my own walkthrough (should such an easy job require such a thing) in the Workshop forum here

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links