Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

More Bhp?

muddyell

You have probably been asked this 1001 times but what power can the IS get without goin down the supercharger or turbo route?

I have already thought about full exhaust system, 6-2-1 manifold, iridium spark plugs, de-cat(maybe) and Induction or panel filter.

After this maybe a remap but would i gain much from it?

What else am i able to do to gain power? I want to get as much as i can out of it N/A

Thanks in advance

Mike

ok bud what im about to say may not be what you want to hear but here goes.Dont do it unless youve got loads of money to spank for not alot of go.im not saying its a bad thing changing some of the bits youre suggesting like spark plugs,just dont expect any real power gains from zorst /induction as it can never be argued to be a good value solution when a person is concerned with extra power.a remap will simply change the behaviour of the needle across the rev range,it may increase mid range pull and can be a good idea but only when done by a reputable company that have a good track record in not making cars go pop.i can recommend someone if you want but they will most probably just talk you out of it anyways cos they are real tuners and would rather you saved your doe for something serious.please dont be optimistic and think you can get anything without an SC or TC youll just waste loads of cash and do what i did,go that route eventually and wonder why you didnt in the first place-trust me its a false economy.sorry to be so negative about it all.

I'm with Raj. Although I'm not an expert by any means in such matters, I know enough to say that trying to force more power out of the IS200 engine without heavy financial and mechanical work.

You could change spark plugs - the Denso IK20's (I think - can anyone confirm they are the right ones please) are supposed to be good.

Panel filter won't do anything noticable but I'll leave the induction kit and exhaust to someone who knows more about them.

Some of the people on here have hugely modified cars with TC's and SC's but they are expensive (£4000+ for SC and £7000+ for TC)

Keith

If you do want an extra few BHP - putting an LOC sticker in the rear window gives you about 20 more horses :)

Indeed, I love my IS but i can't justify spending 3-4k on a supercharger and getting 225-230bhp tops. So I'm just doing asthetic mods and then in around this time next year i'm going to get myself a S15 for some real fun, much more easily tuneable and also better price-performance ratio on tuning parts ;) + i'm going to be running 250bhp stock.

Ok well i wasnt expecting a reaction like tha :crybaby:

What kinda of increase would i get if i did do tha? To be honest i was gonna keep the car till i was 21 so just over a year and then get either the S15 silvia or S13 anyway which is why i saw no point in SC or TC

If i was goin to turbo the Is then it would be the supra concersion anyway

it's the harsh reality i'm afraid mate :)

As said if your planning on sticking with the IS and you see a TTE charger come up for sale i'd buy it as your going to get a good increase in bhp (roughly 50-60). However these are around 2k second hand and my maths is that 2k for 50bhp (taking the IS to 203) is a lot of money. I would rather put the 2k toward a new car and have more power from stock as is the S15 :).

It will be hard selling the IS because it is just such a fun/relaxed car to drive with plenty of poke and insane amounts of grip, but I've always had a soft spot for S15's and as they are the same cheap tax band as the pre-2k1 IS's and hardly any different on insurance I would be a fool not to go that route.

As said if your planning on sticking with the IS and you see a TTE charger come up for sale i'd buy it as your going to get a good increase in bhp (roughly 50-60). However these are around 2k second hand and my maths is that 2k for 50bhp (taking the IS to 203) is a lot of money. I would rather put the 2k toward a new car and have more power from stock as is the S15 :).

It will be hard selling the IS because it is just such a fun/relaxed car to drive with plenty of poke and insane amounts of grip, but I've always had a soft spot for S15's and as they are the same cheap tax band as the pre-2k1 IS's and hardly any different on insurance I would be a fool not to go that route.

But the best thing with supercharger is.............................you are going to get your money back when you sell your car, as you can just take it off again and sell :D

But the best thing with supercharger is.............................you are going to get your money back when you sell your car, as you can just take it off again and sell :D

True i never thought of that

I bet fuel consumption aint too good with charger tho lol

You could potentially get the a N/A IS to around 170BHP but it will run you to the same sort of cash as an SC anyway. You would need to upgrade manifold, full cat back, camcon, full induction kit, uprate spark plugs e.t.c... but most imortantly a new ecu and full remap. Even then you may not reach 170BHP.

A slightly more positive answer from me - though i am in agreement with the others that its not worth the cash.

Charger is about 3% worse MPG i think

Insane amounts of grip? Are you serious?

In my opinion it handles like a bag of ******* to be honest. Especially after my last car :winky:

I guess it depends what you're comparing it too, but I think my IS200 handles extremely well. It made a big difference having the chassis geometry properly setup at WIM (Wheels In Motion) - has your car been WIM'd yet ?

True i never thought of that

I bet fuel consumption aint too good with charger tho lol

On a long M/way run, driving to speed limits, you will get more mpg with s/c, all in all not that much difference, unless you drive it hard all the time :D

When i had mine fitted, i found that i had better mpg :D

To make any of the gains really noticable you would need to have a diffrent cam profile.

Just sticking on airfilter and exhasust and pipes isnt going to give your monies worth.

If you are still thinking N/A power

then look at a cam conversion, - reprofile a cam with the duration to exple and intake more fuel and air.

then look at the headers and exhaust. etc

Finially a remap.

only then will you really notice a significant change in performance and warranty the money you have spent.

Headers and decent exhasust and bits will set you back 600>1k why not save another 1k and sc the car ...!

Ok well thats just buggered me right over lol

If gord is right in sayin the s15 aint much different on insurance then maybe i will have to look at that sooner rather than later

I used to have a starlet that was stiffer than you lot when you get excited and that thing handles like a go kart. Was very very difficult to get it to slide even at stupid speeds round corners so compared to that the lexus handling is rubbish

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links