Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi! Jae Swayed Me

Inquisitor

Hiya everyone!

Went to JAE with a friend, unfortunatly im in a transistion stage of a car so atm i've got a lovely Fabia to run round in......! Anyway! originally was looking for a civic/316ti/swift ish area of cars but went to JAE and i've been swayed for a lexus IS200..! all the cars on the LOC stand were v nicely done! very subtle, very nice! lol was very entertaining too when we saw live action of how a is200 can be broken into without any damage (the AA man did it) ;)

looking at the alternatives above and the is200.. they cost very similar in price, only 'issue' is insureance.. im 22 so insurance would like my BEhind a bit for owning a 2l v6 lump.. hey ho, i'd rather drive in a is200 anyday rather than a swift/316.

After a few searches (honestjohn/whatcar/autotrader) i found that the is200 is a tax band G ?! so what.. that means £400 a year to the goverment next year?? does this imply to the older cars? pre 2002?

Also.. are there any 'buyers guide' to an is200 on the forums here? if not, is there anything in specific to look for?

I've got a few more quesitons but they're more for the sub forums. Thanks for your time! hope to see you guys around more!

P.s. if anyones selling one around £6k >40k miles pre 2002? (tax reasons), pref not modded lemme know thanks!

After a few searches (honestjohn/whatcar/autotrader) i found that the is200 is a tax band G ?! so what.. that means £400 a year to the goverment next year?? does this imply to the older cars? pre 2002?

Also.. are there any 'buyers guide' to an is200 on the forums here? if not, is there anything in specific to look for?

Yep, the tax on IS200s registered from 1st March 2001 (not 2002) will be up to £400 soon :blink: It'll probably mean older cars are more popular and will probably hit prices of newer cars.

There's a guide with a few things to look for here. One major thing that I think is missing from that is to make sure you get a "master" key with the car, i.e. a key which when you insert it into the ignition, the "Security" light immediately turns off and doesn't turn on briefly (without a master key you're looking at an extremely expensive option if you want to programme more keys to the car).

This is a good place to learn loads about the IS200, I know I've learned tons in the short time I've been here. Welcome :)

Yep, the tax on IS200s registered from 1st March 2001 (not 2002) will be up to £400 soon :blink: It'll probably mean older cars are more popular and will probably hit prices of newer cars.

There's a guide with a few things to look for here. One major thing that I think is missing from that is to make sure you get a "master" key with the car, i.e. a key which when you insert it into the ignition, the "Security" light immediately turns off and doesn't turn on briefly (without a master key you're looking at an extremely expensive option if you want to programme more keys to the car).

This is a good place to learn loads about the IS200, I know I've learned tons in the short time I've been here. Welcome :)

Ahh.. thats great, thanks very much. That guide and webby looks very useful, by the way.. is your pic from JAE? I've got some from JAE, is there a specific place to put them on the forums?

I do excuse the car next to you if you were offended in anyway, its my friend's car.. hes been and done all the shiny car approach and he really cba with detailing as you might've noticed..!

owning a 2l v6 lump..

FYI...The IS200 has a straight six 2.0 litre engine, not a v6 2.0 litre and yes buy a pre March 2001 reg'd IS200 if you want to pay lower road tax. Pre March 2001 IS200 road tax is £185 in 2008 and 2009 and will go to £200 in 2010.

hello mate, glad you have jumped on the IS200 trail (you won't regret it),

re: insurance i'm 22 aswell and have 0 no claims, i'm with Bell insurance all mods declared on my car (exhaust/wheels and bodykit although it's the TTE version it's not standard on my car) and i'm paying £780 this also covers me to drive any vehicle under owners consent and windscreen cover :).

Ahh.. thats great, thanks very much. That guide and webby looks very useful, by the way.. is your pic from JAE? I've got some from JAE, is there a specific place to put them on the forums?

I do excuse the car next to you if you were offended in anyway, its my friend's car.. hes been and done all the shiny car approach and he really cba with detailing as you might've noticed..!

You're welcome. Yes, my avatar pic is from JAE, I was there on Saturday. Your friend's car is the one next to mine ? If I'm understanding you correctly, then mine was only washed, not detailed, so no need to apologise, if you looked closely at it you'd have spotted all the flaws ! :D I am planning to clay mine, fix up a few small scratches and so forth.

As for your pics, there's a thread here which has pre-JAE discussions in and now post-JAE chat and pics too, so I'd link your pics in there if I were you :winky:

Yep, the LOC is a fantastic resource, I've had loads of help so far and everyone's really friendly :D

was very entertaining too when we saw live action of how a is200 can be broken into without any damage (the AA man did it) ;)

How did he do this? I'd be very interested to know.

looking at the alternatives above and the is200.. they cost very similar in price, only 'issue' is insureance.. im 22 so insurance would like my BEhind a bit for owning a 2l v6 lump.. hey ho, i'd rather drive in a is200 anyday rather than a swift/316.

I am 23, and with a mod list as long as my arm, including charger, next years premium is 900ish, fully comp.

As the car is very secure (despite what ya mention above!) and is a luxuary 4 door saloon, so insurance grouping is not that high. Also, the SE model is often one group lower still (as is the basic S model, but ya dont want one of them!).

As mentioned, pre March 01 will continue to be under £200 maximum to tax (currently £18), but post March 01 will be £400ish next year....ouch!

(EDITED - Thanks Stevie)

Haha im very sure its secure, its just that @ JAE one of the guys with a (very nice) black is200 put his key in the boot and it self locked..! doh!

Wow insurance sounds cheap, i might need to hunt around some more then, also pre March 01. Thanks!

Edited by johnboy
Removed as this is a public forum

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links