Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mpg Vs Gallons Per 10,00 Miles

Rillo

That video makes no sense - what exactly is the "illusion" and what have they disproved? Whether you express something as miles per gallon or gallons per mile it's still giving you the same information.........

All they're saying is that mpg does not show how significant a difference it is over say 10,000 miles - but the people who don't get that are just morons so I'm not sure why we're talking about them in the first place......... :blush:

That video makes no sense - what exactly is the "illusion" and what have they disproved? Whether you express something as miles per gallon or gallons per mile it's still giving you the same information.........

All they're saying is that mpg does not show how significant a difference it is over say 10,000 miles - but the people who don't get that are just morons so I'm not sure why we're talking about them in the first place......... :blush:

Completely agree with that, it proves nothing and I have learnt nothing.

It highlights the fact that by only looking at mpg you can be mislead into thinking a certain car will be a money saver.....

For example you could swap to a hybrid but unless you analyse the gallons used for your mileage and the extra cost of the car you cannot know if you will save money. e.g buying a diesel Fiat 500 over a petrol one takes you 170,000+ miles to get your money back.

It highlights the fact that by only looking at mpg you can be mislead into thinking a certain car will be a money saver.....

For example you could swap to a hybrid but unless you analyse the gallons used for your mileage and the extra cost of the car you cannot know if you will save money. e.g buying a diesel Fiat 500 over a petrol one takes you 170,000+ miles to get your money back.

You're absolutely right about having to work out the payback period very carefully but the video didn't say that, it just said that cars which do better mpg use less fuel. The idea of "gas" at $4 a gallon is quite nice, though!

I'm not sure we were watching the same video...........yes you're right, it's important to bear that in mind when buying a car but they said nothing of the sort in that video!

All they were saying was that as an example, 2 cars with 12 and 15 mpg respectively both seem like they have similar fuel consumption, but when taken over 10,000 miles, it would actually mean that the 12mpg car would use 167 more gallons of fuel in a year. Therefore people aren't getting a realistic view of the differences in fuel economy based on the "mpg" values.............

While they were correct in everything they said, it was all rather pointless information, and if I was head of that university I'd be slightly embarrassed that professors of that university had made such a useless film!

All they were saying was that as an example, 2 cars with 12 and 15 mpg respectively both seem like they have similar fuel consumption, but when taken over 10,000 miles, it would actually mean that the 15mpg car would use 167 more gallons of fuel in a year. Therefore people aren't getting a realistic view of the differences in fuel economy based on the "mpg" values.............

While they were correct in everything they said, it was all rather pointless information, and if I was head of that university I'd be slightly embarrassed that professors of that university had made such a useless film!

Hope they didnt say that - would be incorrect - surely other way around :winky:

Totally agree - Glad we arent paying for someone to make this rubbish

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links