Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Modified Insurance

coolrides

if you have an valid insurance policy, legally the insurance company must provide third party cover, they can refuse to pay for the policy holders car or any injuries to the person, but can not default on their third party obligation

Surely if you've carried out mods and not told the insurance company, then you *don't* have a valid insurance policy ?

I agree. If you've provided incorrect information to the insurance company - obtaining cheaper insurance by knowingly lying to them, why would they pay out to a third party?

Tragic as it is if the situation ever occured, but I just don't see why they would have to - when all is said and done you've tried to defraud them.

If I ever knew anyone was driving a car that wasn't insured correctly, I'd be on the phone like a shot to the police - I don't care who they are - could be my child they run over or my car they run into.

Well if they where fully insured I'm sure the hit family member would feel alot better or not as the case would be.

Insurance is just a mind field an they just make up the premiums they add on for each mod, best just declare everything an not take the risk :(

:whistling: I'm sure the relevant info is printed very plainly on your insurance docs, probably easier for you to read through your particular policy requirements. :)

I think you are lost in your world of trying to imply I endorse or that I am not correctly insured

the facts are that an insurance Company can not escape their third party obligations, by withdrawing or canceling an insurance policy, after an incident has occurred, they may and can claim all of their expenses incurred from the policy holder though

I am totally lost as to how you could possibly construe that I am implying that you are not correctly insured from me suggesting that you read your own insurers policy book etc. I am sure that whilst all insurers have broadly similar terms each may have their own specifics. I have stated the legal requirements re mods and insurance and you appear for some reason to have taken this as a personal slur rather than taking part in a discussion which affects all drivers whether their cars are modded or not.

My position re owners who mod their car but do not notify their insurers remains unchanged..I am not lost in my world it is fraud.

What's the definition of a modification in Insurance terms?

Is fitting an OEM boot spoiler a mod? How about a non OEM exhaust back box? LED tail lights and HID headlights? What about fitting different size or make of tyre to those originally supplied on the car from OEM?

Aftermarket ICE? Is it not legal if you fail to tell your insurance company? If not, why not, as you could argue better ICE makes the car more attractive to thieves, same reason the Noddy Dog gave me for wanting more of a premium when I fitted non standard rims, despite the fact that they didn't cost anymore than a set of new replacement rims from a Lexus dealer.

Quote from Churchill policy Book

"Changes made to your vehicle which improve its value,performance,handling or attractiveness to thieves."

That sounds sensible to me (although different insurers may have different definitions, as Dave1 has illustrated). In Tango's example, I would have thought that installing a non-OEM exhaust rear box which is just a bog-standard one from Kwik-fit or similar would be no issue. But installing an HKS back box probably would be an issue, since it could be argued that it improved performance (albeit just slightly) and also the car's appearance. Similarly LED/HID lights should be declared, I would think.

Installing a different make of tyre wouldn't really seem to be an issue to me unless it was a particularly expensive/exotic tyre, but installing bigger alloys than the OEM ones would be a modification.

I would say, if in doubt - declare it !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links