Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Dilemma

Abbas

Hi all,

I had 4 Federal Supersteel 595's on my IS200, the near side rear was worn in one area so it has been changed for the spare. The spare was a Bridgestone Potenza RE040, so now I have 3 SuperSteels and 1 Potenza on the car (worn supersteel as a spare).

I have had a look at reviews on both Tyres and none have a great score the Potenza being slighey higher. The pattern for both tyres is totally different and I am not even sure if I should continue driving around much longer like this.

The Federal supersteel 595

ss595rr5.jpg

The Potenza RE040

87388732fullbridgestoneui5.jpg

Anyway my question is:

Would you...

A. Buy another Supersteel and swap for the Potenza (back to Supersteels all round).

B. Buy another Potenza (have 2 Supersteels at the front and 2 potenza's at the rear).

C. Change all four and get better tyres. (costly option)

D. Leave as it is.

E. Change the Potenza for a tyre with a smiliar pattern as the Supersteel.

F. Any other suggestions?

All tyres currently have plenty of thread left on them.

Many thanks...

Abbas

I think the first thing is, why is that one worn and the rest arent?

Maybe get that sorted first?

Secondly its not recommended that you have different tyres on the same axis, so possibly change them both, cause even if you get a new supersteel its gonna have more rubber than the won one.

Thanks for your opinion 84stoney...

Yea I agree c would be the best option as the road noise is so high and there are a lot of better tyres I could get but will also hurt my wallet big time, shame that you can't part exchange tyres...

I will see what other replies I get but I think your answer with b (buy another Potenza) would be the best one for me.

I think the first thing is, why is that one worn and the rest arent?

Maybe get that sorted first?

Secondly its not recommended that you have different tyres on the same axis, so possibly change them both, cause even if you get a new supersteel its gonna have more rubber than the won one.

Thanks for you opinon...

Well the worn tyre was spotted during a geo set up as it was out of shape, it had a slight bulge in one area, Probably not the best explanation but hope you get the idea.

Hmm you got me thinking about changing both now...

Changing boths rears is not a bad idea. (Again, do all four if you can stretch to it.)

Pirelli, Toyo, Goodyear all make very good ones. Personally, I like my Yokohamas, always have.

Are you on standard 17s? I'd quess around £300 for a pukka set all round, with any of the above. £150 a pair. (Never put tyres on the standard rims myself, so guessing here.)

Changing boths rears is not a bad idea. (Again, do all four if you can stretch to it.)

Pirelli, Toyo, Goodyear all make very good ones. Personally, I like my Yokohamas, always have.

Are you on standard 17s? I'd quess around £300 for a pukka set all round, with any of the above. £150 a pair. (Never put tyres on the standard rims myself, so guessing here.)

Yep I am on standard 17's, I just can't justify changing all 4 tyres when the current ones are in very good condition. Changing the rears I guess wont be too bad as I would use one old one as a spare and the other would go to waste.

Then maybe in the future as the front tyres become worn I could replace them and rotate with the rears so the newer ones went to the back.

Then maybe in the future as the front tyres become worn I could replace them and rotate with the rears so the newer ones went to the back.

Always a good practice. If I buy a pair of tyres, they will go on the drive wheels, on any car.

All you need is an empty carpark and a set of good rear tryes can be made slick in 15 mins of smokey, noisy fun. :whistling:

Always a good practice. If I buy a pair of tyres, they will go on the drive wheels, on any car.

All you need is an empty carpark and a set of good rear tryes can be made slick in 15 mins of smokey, noisy fun. :whistling:

Lol actually I would rather have some fun out of them then see them go to waste, not a bad suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links