Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all @ LOC

How to know which gear box I have in my car,

Do I have a 4 speed forward Automatic Gear Box

Or

Do I have a 5 speed forward Automatic Gear Box

My car is GS300 1997, Registered on September 23rd 1997 as a new

Please advise.

-shuja

From what I have read, from '96 onwards was a 5 speed, basically by using the overdrive also gear in 2nd gear (I think). Easiest thing to do is just listen/watch for the gear changes and count them.

A '97 could be either.

If it's the original body shape with an overdrive button on the gearlever and a straight gate, it's 4-speed. Overdrive is just 4th gear.

If it has the second body shape with 4 separate headlamps, it's a 5-speed.

from wikipedia

First generation (1991-1997)

With a body styled by the famous Italdesign Giugiaro firm, the Aristo was launched in October 1991, offering two inline-6 powered versions for the Japanese market: the 3.0Q and 3.0V. The 3.0Q Aristo featured a 2JZ-GE engine which produced 226 hp (169 kW). The 3.0V Aristo was equipped with a 24-valve twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE engine which produced 276 hp (205 kW). This twin-turbo engine was the same as could be found in the Toyota Supra Mk IV (JZA80). In 1992, a third model, the V8-powered 4.0Zi-Four (codename UZS143), joined the Aristo lineup. This model came with standard four-wheel drive and a 250 hp (186 kW) 1UZ-FE engine. This V8 had also been used in the first generation Lexus LS and the Toyota Crown Majesta. The Aristo/GS models were equipped with an independent, double-wishbone suspension setup.[1] The only engine available for the export markets was the 2JZ-GE inline-6.

Production of the Lexus GS 300 (JZS147) began on February 22, 1993 at the Tahara, Japan assembly plant. At the time, the GS represented the latest advancement of Tahara production technology, with only eight spot welds performed by hand. The rest, some 4,200 welds, were performed by robots.[2] Italdesign Giugiaro's exterior styling blended elements of the original LS flagship and SC performance coupe in a rounded, aerodynamic shape, complementing the rest of the Lexus lineup. For the interior, the GS 300 featured walnut wood trim on the center console, leather seating, and the option of a Nakamichi premium stereo system. A moonroof, remote 12-CD auto changer, and traction control (TRAC) were options. In 1996, the four-speed automatic transmission was replaced with a five-speed automatic.

The GS was intended to take the price position of the original LS 400 flagship, which had moved upmarket since its 1989 launch.[2] As Lexus' first rear-wheel drive sports sedan, the GS exceeded the front-wheel drive ES luxury sedan in power and available amenities. However, sales of the GS 300 were modest, with 1993 seeing the greatest sales at 19,164 sold that year. Sales dropped in later years as the Japanese yen rose in value against the dollar and made the vehicle more expensive than its rivals.[2] Additionally, more powerful V8 sport sedans provided stiff competition. The GS 300 carried an initial manufacturer's suggested U.S. base price of $37,930 at its debut; by 1997, the price had risen to $46,195.

Anyone know how true the part in red is? or was that only for JDM?

A '97 could be either.

If it's the original body shape with an overdrive button on the gearlever and a straight gate, it's 4-speed. Overdrive is just 4th gear.

Hi Garethr,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on 4 separate head lamps

Thanks

-shuja

A '97 could be either.

Hi Garethr,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on 4 separate head lamps

Thanks

-shuja

If you look at the pictures at the bottom of the posts by Tigerfish those pics are the series 1. On the series 1 the gearshift lever has a large knob on side at the top to press before reverse can be engaged and a smaller button just under to press to engage/disengage the overdrive feature. These buttons are not present on the series 2 models.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links