Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Black Ls 430

wacko

Hi Guys

I have just upgrade from a sliver LS 400 to a black LS 430.

never had a problem using a machine polisher on the 400, but I am concerned about using one on the 430.

The car is done with a solid paint only no clear coat like the 400. I understand that all black lexus are just solid paint. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Does anyone have a black 430 or other model who can give me advice.

What do you use to polish? what pads do you use? machine or by hand? etc

Any advice apreciated

Thanks in advance

Wacko - I am not sure about black cars having a clear coat final finish. I have a black IS and I bought a touch up kit for minor chips and it has a clear coat in it. If you want good advise post your question on cleanyourcar.com there are many experts who are more than willing to help. You can also get some good products from this site. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Merv

check with your lex dealer as to weather it is clearcoat or solid then, proceed in the normal way with your machine using the least agressive polish and pad combo then apply the carlack system job done.

I would never use an automatic polisher anyhow.

I have a black LS400 MkIV. I would say it doesn't have a clear lacquer coat but I've had it in for respray and the scumbags claim that it DOES have a lacquer coat.

Wacko - kill two birds here with one stone.

Get some Autobalm, it'll hide any light marks on it, and as it has some chemical cleaning capability, if you see any black transfer on the pad, then you'll know it's solid paint, although if it's been looked after pretty well (assuming we're not talking about it being brand new) then you might find there's little oxidised paint to remove.

Since it's black, it's going to show up more marks, more of the time - so if you want to keep it looking it's best, then a machine polisher and a good selection of pads and polishes will do that better than Autoglym's SRP by hand.

You'll also want to get a clay bar too - and if you're going for the Autobalm, you might as well just get the Autoclay Soft (clear tub)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the advice and information.

I have checked with lexus and it is just a solid paint no clear coat.

I have also use the Autobalm on the car, what i difference, can still see some swirl marks but most of them have been covered up by the autobalm.

hopefuly this will improve with more layers over time.

Many thanks

Doubtful, if they're a bit more severe than the ones already hidden, but you never know.

If you're feeling particularly energetic some day, use some Autoglym SRP to knock back the swirls, etc, then put the 'balm on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links