Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Remote Oil Filter Kits

One of the things that I do hate about the GS is the position of the oil filter. It is a right b*tch to get to and to get off and no matter what you do oil ends up down the side of the engine and all over the engine mounts etc. What I'd like to do is fit a remote oil filter, anybody got any ideas what is needed in total (guessing adaptor plate for existing filter mount, pipes and new filter mount)? If possible, I'd actually like to change the whole setup to something similar to the E36 BMW, where the oil filter is just the element and is inserted into a cast case with a bolt on lid. Anyone know a good place to to get the bits and if it would be possible to use a BMW oil filter or would you have to use a Lexus/Toyota one? I've no idea what specification filter need to meet as far as filtering ability goes and if they are all the same. Hope that lot makes sense, Cheers.

One of the things that I do hate about the GS is the position of the oil filter. It is a right b*tch to get to and to get off and no matter what you do oil ends up down the side of the engine and all over the engine mounts etc. What I'd like to do is fit a remote oil filter, anybody got any ideas what is needed in total (guessing adaptor plate for existing filter mount, pipes and new filter mount)? If possible, I'd actually like to change the whole setup to something similar to the E36 BMW, where the oil filter is just the element and is inserted into a cast case with a bolt on lid. Anyone know a good place to to get the bits and if it would be possible to use a BMW oil filter or would you have to use a Lexus/Toyota one? I've no idea what specification filter need to meet as far as filtering ability goes and if they are all the same. Hope that lot makes sense, Cheers.

I was thinking about doing this to my is200 you can use the standard filters they'll just be further away. Im guessing but if you've got some really long pipes you might need to put more oil in as well to make up for the amount that would be trapped in the lines. You can get oil relocater kits from demon tweeks and merlin motorsports just need to get the right size thread.

• 8 months later...

Reviving this old'ish thread again. Does anybody know what the thread size is for the filter on the Mk1 GS? I definately want to get this done asap as it really does p*ss me off how awkward the filter is. I just need to make sure I get the right sized thread for the sandwich plate.

On a side note, is there any specific reason to use the same oil filter remotely? i.e. I like the arrangement on my old BMW 325 Coupe, where there is a cast housing and top plate, and this holds the changeable filter element. I guess what I'm asking is can I grab one of these housings from a scrappy and use a BMW filter? or will the BMW item not handle the oil flow? is there anyway of finding out what oil flow a filter has or needs to handle? Lots of questions but maybe someone will know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been looking on eBay at some of the filters on there mate and it looks like the filter has a 3/4inch thread?

CLICK ME! The remote kit does sound like a very good idea mate and there are a few parts listed on eBay with the 3/4 thread pattern? Just finding the right parts for the job? Would any of the supra kits fit mate? as i bet there are a some kits ready made for them? :unsure:

Just been looking on ebay at some of the filters on there mate and it looks like the filter has a 3/4inch thread?

CLICK ME! The remote kit does sound like a very good idea mate and there are a few parts listed on ebay with the 3/4 thread pattern? Just finding the right parts for the job? Would any of the supra kits fit mate? as i bet there are a some kits ready made for them? :unsure:

Cheers Chris, I'll look into it for the supra kits. I suspect when someone puts together a kit, it will up the price no end compared to building it up yourself. Worth a look though. Slightly worrying that eBay listing shows the GS300, and some IS200 as V6's :lol:

Just been looking on ebay at some of the filters on there mate and it looks like the filter has a 3/4inch thread?

CLICK ME! The remote kit does sound like a very good idea mate and there are a few parts listed on ebay with the 3/4 thread pattern? Just finding the right parts for the job? Would any of the supra kits fit mate? as i bet there are a some kits ready made for them? :unsure:

Cheers Chris, I'll look into it for the supra kits. I suspect when someone puts together a kit, it will up the price no end compared to building it up yourself. Worth a look though. Slightly worrying that eBay listing shows the GS300, and some IS200 as V6's :lol:

Yes i thought the same mate :lol: , mind it gives a bit of an idea which filters might fit? :unsure: But like you say if you can get the plate for the oem filter housing then plumb in the bmw filter system that you know of, It would save a lot of messing about trying to get the filter off from the oem housing?

Quite interested in this, so will let you know if i find anything else :)

is this the kind of thing your looking for??? not saying it will fit but it has a 3/4 inch thread?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-RANGE-ROVER-3-5...bayphotohosting

if so all you'd have to do is find out what car share the same oil filter as your gs or is engine and im ure there will be 1 about???

if it does fit or a simular 1 would you be able to connect the hoses to your bmw style? hope this is some help, im considering doing this to my is200 also as its so hard to get to the bloody filter!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links