Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I've always thought the 220D is quite noisy when its idling (considering its a Lexus!). However I was suprised that, according to measurements, it is the quietest diesel by quite a distance from its main rivals. Here are the measurements in dB at idle:

Lexus IS 220D: 41,9

BMW 320D: 47,1

Mercedes C 220 CDi: 47,2

Audi A4 2.0 TDi: 46,3

I haven't tried any of the other cars, so I would like to know from other members personal experience how would you compare the noise levels from those cars with the 220D. Thanks.

Who's measurements are those as I think the 220d is noisier?

The measurements come from a Spanish site (http://motor.terra.es). They've got a flash animation that explains how they measure the noise levels (they put microphones at the front and rear seats and use a sound meter to measure levels at different speeds). Can't believe the others are even noisier!

The measurements come from a Spanish site (http://motor.terra.es). They've got a flash animation that explains how they measure the noise levels (they put microphones at the front and rear seats and use a sound meter to measure levels at different speeds). Can't believe the others are even noisier!

That's more a measurement of the effectiveness of cabin noise insulation than the output noise of the engine. They all sound like tractors from the outside, especially when cold.

That's more a measurement of the effectiveness of cabin noise insulation than the output noise of the engine. They all sound like tractors from the outside, especially when cold.

Agree, its the noise perceived inside the cabin, but still I find it suprising inside the car the noise levels of the 220D are the best in the class.

Just sold a C22ocdi and the IS220d is a lot quieter than the merc by some way particularly when on the move or setting off.

Have had a few diesels and other than 325d (6cyl) the lexus is the quietest.

Do you think they may have mad some mods? reading up before I test drove the IS I was a little worried that it would sound like a tractor given some coments on here.

Not long after I had mine I was pulling up outside my house one evening and my neighbour was going out to the local for a couple of pints (he had his back to me). I pulled up alongside him to say that I would meet him there in 5 minutes and he was startled to see me as he hadn't heard the car. To my mind the Lexus is certainly no louder than others especially from the inside. Another neighbour has a Golf diesel and you should hear that we he starts it up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links