Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Anyone In The Petroleum Business

Scorps01

O.K i got this in a e-mail does anyone know if there is any truth in this its from someone who has (allegedly) been in the petroleum business for over 30yrs:....this is just a snippet of what was written.

Only fill up in the early morning when the ground temp is cold, the colder the ground the denser the fuel becomes as when fuel is warmer it expands which means your litre isnt exactly a litre?

When filling up dont squeeze the trigger on fast mode...there are 3 modes. low/middle and high, we should be pumping on low as this minimises vapour loss whilst pumping,all hose at the pump have a vapour return, when in fast pump mode some of the liquid going in becomes vapour and being sucked up and back into the under ground storage tanks so getting less for your money.

Fill up when your tank is half empty, the more fuel in your tank the less air occupying the empty space, Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine.

I wouldn't fill up too far on those cold mornings then or when it warms up during the day it is all gonna expand in your tank and come pi**ing out :whistling:

At the rate Lexus drinks fuel it would probably use enuff not to over flow the tank by the time its warmed up, lol

Maybe all three have some elements of truth to them, however in my non-expert opinion, I'd have thought the differences are so slight you'd never notice them unless you were an obsessive nerd who calculated everything ald walked round with a lot of pens in your top pocket. Bit like me then!! haha! :lol:

I have being in the fuel business to know whats wot and personally it is a load of rubbish about filling up on cold mornings etc etc.

Firstly petrol is stored underground so temp will not affect it, petrol pumps are calibrated on regular intervals and at different times so all this about using half trigger and full trigger is rubbish too and also you have to remember that if the tank is half or empty when you fill up the air has got to go out from the tank when filling up to compensate for the liquid going in so as the tank gets lower air must enter the tank or the tank will get sucked in due to the liquid leaving the tank.

The only truth in it about the vapours on a cold morning is that they will be denser than air so it will travel along the ground anyway.

Diesel is better filled up on a cold morning as it does expand and contract more than petrol as I know diesel is loaded into road tanks always at 25deg c and normally 36000 litres so if it is left over the weekend ( in a road tanker)and it is frosty the temp will drop and thus the diesel will contract so there will be a loss of approx of only 100 litres.

All I can say it does not affect the consumer in the slightest with regard to what the ambient temp is.

If you need to know anything else I will try and help but I didn't want to go into to great a detail as it can get boring.. :winky:

Just altered a ccouple of things as the stella is flowing again. please read again

:whistling:

lol....

in 'theory' what u have heard is possible, but in a real life scenario i doubt very much that you'd see any significant difference.

I guess with the petrol prices rising, anything to get a little bit more for the money is a good idea, but the only way i know of that is guaranteed to get you some 'free' fuel is the reward schemes (shell v-power club etc etc)

guaranteed to get you some 'free' fuel is the reward schemes (shell v-power club etc etc)

I do both nectar and Esso money back scheme on diesel....collect 25 vouchers for a fiver cash...easy when you put in 250 ltrs of diesel in every visit 3 times a week....ker ching!!....following week nectar points.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links